Indoor Russian Tortoise Enclosure: Please Critique!

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hi there, fellow tortoises lovers!

Today, I have some pictures to show you lovely reptile-lovers. I was wondering if you could offer some feedback and helpful hints regarding the expansion and upgrading of my Russian tortoise enclosure. I currently have one male and one female (I am looking to separate them in the near future).

Here is a general idea of the enclosure. It is a 6x2 habitat created by pushing two Zoo Med Tortoise Houses together.
20141107_130422.jpg

This second picture shows the right side of the cage. Here you can see some coconut fiber, an aloe plant, a tortoise cuttlebone (for calcium), the ordinary food dish, and my female Russian sleeping under her favorite little cave.

20141107_130349.jpg

This third picture shows the left side of the enclosure. Here is the water dish, a hiding log, and a few flat stones for claw trimming (and beak trimming when food is on top of them). Please note that the grounded walnut sand shown here is going to be replaced. I have received advice from a very friendly member regarding impacting and other worries with this type of substrate. You can also see my lazy boy, Harold, enjoying his routine stroll.

20141107_130401.jpg

Here is just a picture of Harold in hopes that it will give you a smile. Please note (as mentioned previously) that I am planning to separate the two tortoises as I am aware of the issues or future concerns with aggression and dominance.

How does he look? :)

20141107_130453.jpg

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this thread and put forth the effort to respond. Any feedback is welcome, both negative (if it's constructive) and positive! I hope that everyone has a fantastic day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm happy to note that you were smart enough to realize that one "tortoisehouse" wasn't big enough. They really need to be set up outside, but that's something to think about in the Spring. Also, I think Harold is probably older than you think. He's more than likely wild caught and closer to 10 or 11 years.

Do you belong to the Cen-Val Chapter of CTTC? I understand there is no longer a Fresno Turtle & Tortoise society. I was just wondering because you seem to have a bunch more knowledge than your average new tortoise-keeper.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
I'm happy to note that you were smart enough to realize that one "tortoisehouse" wasn't big enough. They really need to be set up outside, but that's something to think about in the Spring. Also, I think Harold is probably older than you think. He's more than likely wild caught and closer to 10 or 11 years.

Do you belong to the Cen-Val Chapter of CTTC? I understand there is no longer a Fresno Turtle & Tortoise society. I was just wondering because you seem to have a bunch more knowledge than your average new tortoise-keeper.

Thank you for your response, Yvonne G!

I think it's very interesting that Harold could be 10 or 11 years old; it wouldn't surprise me! He's bigger than my female (although she's still growing).

I am hoping that I will be able to house my torts outside. I have a solid concrete balcony that might work, but I'm not very confident with the amount of sunlight that it receives in certain areas. Being in California, I have noted a few hawks circling overhead in clutters. If I do house them outside, I'll be sure to research effective overhead netting or covers to protect my little guys. I hope to figure something out soon!

Thank you for your compliments regarding my knowledge of tortoises. I am still rather knew to the idea of having reptiles, but I have made a lifelong commitment and I definitely intend to learn as much as I can! Unfortunately, as you mentioned, I did not adopt my tortoises before the Fresno Turtle and Tortoise Society was disbanded, but I am not currently a member of the Cen-Val Chapter of CTTC. I will look it up right now and see what it's like! Thank you for mentioning that. :)

Tort-Rex

I think it looks really good!
But, I have one concern, in the pictures, it looks like the substrate you are using is sand, if it is, then you really have to change it to something like coco coir or repti-bark. Sand can cause leg problems.

Tort-Rex

I think it looks really good!
But, I have one concern, in the pictures, it looks like the substrate you are using is sand, if it is, then you really have to change it to something like coco coir or repti-bark. Sand can cause leg problems.
Sorry, never mind, I just reread the original post. Sorry, my bad

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
I had a set up like that also. I removed the two end covers that say tortoise house and replaced them with plexiglass to let in more light. They sell 1by 2 foot pieces at Home Depot.

That's a wonderful idea. How thick was the plexiglass? Thank you, Iegiti.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I hung a MVB above one end just about right where yours are, and then a regular light bulb on the other end purely to add more light.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
I don't know exactly, not very thick. It was one of the medium weight ones. it was heavy enough that it stayed put quite well, the brackets helped keep it in place

Thank you. I've occasionally pondered the idea of improving my Russians' light source. I'll pop by the store and browse through the plexiglass selection when I go out to replace my grounded walnut sand substrate.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As far as outdoor housing goes, oof you can use hardware cloth or something similar over the top to keep birds raccoons etc. out. With two Russians together you Will eventually have issues, they don't do well in pairs. Make sure there are plenty of site barriers and hides so they can get away from each other.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D
They are cute! Did you get your plants?
Good thinking on getting two of those, that's a nice size for one of your russians right now :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Even if your tortoises are outside most of the time, it is really nice to have an indoor enclosure for bad weather, or at night. I think this one will work fine for that purpose.