Indoor Tortoise Table Critique

LouB

Hi,
New to the forum so thank you for all advice in advance. We have just gotten Luci ( short for Lucifer ) he/her is a 1 year old Horsefield. We've build this table and don't want to take any chances after losing our previous tortoise,Sid, after a year. For Sid we used a combination UVB & Basking bulb but on Vets advice we have changed to separate UV tubes and Halogen Basking bulbs. The basking bulb temp is regulated by Dimming Thermostat which is set to 23 Degrees C in the center of the table which give a gradient of 30-32C at shell height near his basking lamp and 20C at the opposite end of the table.
We have been told that the UV tube might not be long enough for the en closer. Should it stretch the whole length?
Let us know if you need further info x Lou
IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5620.JPG IMG_5621.JPG IMG_5622.JPG IMG_5623.JPG IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5625.JPG IMG_5626.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That looks to be a nice size for a baby tortoise. I don't like to use pellets for substrate because you can't moisten them (they mold when moistened). And baby tortoises require a bit of humidity in order to grow smooth shells. Your little Russian doesn't need as much moisture as a sulcata or redfoot, but he does need some moisture. What I use for babies is orchid bark. But lots of members use coco coir or even dirt from your garden.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi,
New to the forum so thank you for all advice in advance. We have just gotten Luci ( short for Lucifer ) he/her is a 1 year old Horsefield. We've build this table and don't want to take any chances after losing our previous tortoise,Sid, after a year. For Sid we used a combination UVB & Basking bulb but on Vets advice we have changed to separate UV tubes and Halogen Basking bulbs. The basking bulb temp is regulated by Dimming Thermostat which is set to 23 Degrees C in the center of the table which give a gradient of 30-32C at shell height near his basking lamp and 20C at the opposite end of the table.
We have been told that the UV tube might not be long enough for the en closer. Should it stretch the whole length?
Let us know if you need further info x Lou
View attachment 185752 View attachment 185753 View attachment 185754 View attachment 185755 View attachment 185756 View attachment 185757 View attachment 185758 View attachment 185759
An adorable little tort!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and give your cute tort daily soaks in warm water. Ask any question when in doubt.

And welcome to the forum!

LouB

Daily soaks aren't appreciated by little Luci as she seems to love a lie-in - myself & Mark are up bright & early so she gets them regardless of the pulled faces (very cute)!
She also has supervised time spent in the garden with a good variety of tortoise friendly plants to nibble on

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. Replace the pellets with one of the other items Yvonne listed. Those pellets shouldn't even be sold for reptiles. Really they aren't good for any pet. It's hard to tell in the pic, but be sure the water dish is big enough for him to get into. The humidity too is needed. We have a good Russian caresheet, check it out for proper humidity.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Daily soaks aren't appreciated by little Luci as she seems to love a lie-in - myself & Mark are up bright & early so she gets them regardless of the pulled faces (very cute)!
She also has supervised time spent in the garden with a good variety of tortoise friendly plants to nibble on
Don't worry, she'll get used to them. It'll take time, though, as torts do not like change.

LouB

Thanks for the advice, we'll be swapping the pellets for orchid bark at the next change
Lou

LouB

Don't worry, she'll get used to them. It'll take time, though, as torts do not like change.
I can imagine, I'm sure it's fairly stressful for them to move house - I know we don't like it much.
She seems to scowl at us when we wake her for a soak then heads back to bed afterwards lol

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Is that 1in plywood or melemine you used for the structure? Looks great...topsoil is great. My russian sierra buries herself in it...good for planting too...

LouB

Is that 1in plywood or melemine you used for the structure? Looks great...topsoil is great. My russian sierra buries herself in it...good for planting too...
It's untreated pine from the local DIY shop - my partner very cleverly built it for her.
She seems to be doing better with the orchid bark substrate & likes to walk along underneath it so we lose her on a regular basis!

LouB

I'd also give your tort a few hiding spots when you switch substrates ;)
We've put a tray of mixed lettuce leaves in there, she loves to hide under there & also has a few other spots - she's not easy to find once she digs herself in

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thanks for the advice, we'll be swapping the pellets for orchid bark at the next change
Lou

I looks great! I made the mistake of putting pellets under my coco substrate, just to have more in there and holy cow they molded up so bad. As soon as I started to see it grow I changed it out but it had spread a ton where I couldn't see it. I scrubbed my enclosure for an hour.
You got a good looking little tortoise!

LouB

I looks great! I made the mistake of putting pellets under my coco substrate, just to have more in there and holy cow they molded up so bad. As soon as I started to see it grow I changed it out but it had spread a ton where I couldn't see it. I scrubbed my enclosure for an hour.
You got a good looking little tortoise!
Thank you, her character's showing through now she's getting a little older - she's a funny little thing.

It sounds like you had a nightmare with the pellets under the coco substrate!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
How big is this enclosure? Looks fantastic..

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I really like the idea of this adjustable screw thing you have on the sides! That is so smart! Great job.

Attachments

• IMG_5624.JPG
    IMG_5624.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 13