New Russian Tortoise Indoor Enclosure

BloodRaine1992

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar Creek
My husband and I are building a indoor enclosure for a russian tortoise in his new outdoor office. We have been researching and are now wondering if we can build it at all due to the walls of the office being cedar.
Please advise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An indoor enclosure in an outdoor office? This does not compute.

Does the office have walls and a door? How is it an outdoor office?

I would not have a tortoise living in cedar walls in a closed space, but if its outdoorsy and wide open to the fresh air, it should be fine.

Here is the Russian care info, including enclosure size and details:

BloodRaine1992

Cedar Creek
An indoor enclosure in an outdoor office? This does not compute.

Does the office have walls and a door? How is it an outdoor office?

I would not have a tortoise living in cedar walls in a closed space, but if its outdoorsy and wide open to the fresh air, it should be fine.

Here is the Russian care info, including enclosure size and details:
The office is separate from the house made from a enclosed outdoor shed. Ceiling has cedar panels. Tortoise enclosure was going to be building inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The office is separate from the house made from a enclosed outdoor shed. Ceiling has cedar panels. Tortoise enclosure was going to be building inside.
Hmmm.... I don't know that anyone can answer this question definitively. Cedar emits toxic fumes. In a small glass cage with cedar shavings, this is enough to kill a rodent. Cedar roof panels... I don't know. How strong is the smell? How strong will those fumes be when the room is closed and heated in winter?

Personally, I wouldn't put it there, but I can't say with any certainty whether the fumes would be toxic enough to do damage, or not. To be safe, I'd rather have no amount of toxic fumes being emitted in my tortoise's living space.