Indoor enclosure for hatchlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Everett, WA
Anyone ever used a large guinea pig cage? Something like this http://www.petco.com/Shop/AlternateImages.aspx?FamilyID=106169&sku=
without the platform in it? I have one thats never been used and was wondering .... its about three feet by two feet. I have plexi i can attatch to the sides to help keep the heat in.... what do you think as a temp home until the sun comes out again?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
This will be for a box turtle hatchling, right? A bit big for 1 or 2 hatchlings, but they can grow into it. :D Your going to need to worry more about humidity than heat with the box turtles, but the plexiglass will help with that too. You want to make sure also that you don't add to much light as hatchling box turtles don't like bright lights and will hide constantly if the lights are to bright.

Danny

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
I was thinking heat wise of using a ceramic emmiter so i can leave it on at night too... I have a TON of extra UV hoods that would sit right on top of the cage :) I even have a wooden hut that hasnt been used they can have as a hide O.O I just realized that lol. What should i use for a substrate? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.
I built my water dragon cage and will soon be finishing my dragon cage.... then the turtles will be up too :)

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
I just had a WONDERFUL thought.... I actually have two of those cages.... i can cut out the side of one of them... build a small plexi glass bridge.... and VOILA a six foot cage!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can either use peatmoss, organic topsoil or a combination of the 2.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby box turtles are VERY tiny. Be sure to cover all the sides really well with your plexiglass or they will squeeze through the bars. Once escaped, you'll play heck to find them.

Yvonne

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Ok well now im rethinking species of turtle.... not because of size but my house tends to run warm and dry, something with less humidty would probably be better with all the heat in the room. Any suggestions.... (that and the breeder i thought had babies informed me that all he has is WC adults. :( ) I want something personable and on the smaller size (like... not the size of a sulcata lol) diet is easy to control in our house with the rest of the reptiles but humidity is hard to keep up.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I put lots of plants and on top of the top soil (mixed with Forest Floor by Zoo med) I put green reptile moss. All the plants and moss hold the humidity very well. I use a heat emitter on one side of the viv. and on the other side a long tube 10.0 UVB for a 10 gal over a screen to filter out the light, which gives off no heat. The plants really hold the humidity very well. It also gives the boxies options ....warm side...cool side etc. I also cover part of the screen top with clear wraping tape to hold humidity.

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
cool thanks for the ideas... I really wanna find someone local that breeds CBB babies as i really dont like the idea of housing Wild Caught turtles

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I just got a Greek about a week ago...i know he's a WC adult..
he's probably just a little under 10 from what I've gathered from
his previous owner.

And he is just a DOLL. It only took about two days before we could reach
in and offer food by hand, and tonight we had him out and about
and he comes over to you when you talk to him
(probably hoping for food lol :p)

Wild caught isn't all bad if you can find someone who knows all of the
specs on the torts in their care. I don't anticipate any problems
whatsoever with him. he's a fabulous tort...Greeks really are the
total package!

I know it wont be long till we have more! if we only had more space!

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Yeah, I'm working on doing some research on finding hatchlings as I'd really prefer to raise them from young :) But until Im done building the dragon enclosure i have time to find a breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.