Topsoil in indoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So I am off to Home Depot on my way home from work to pick up a 50 gallon Rubbermaid for Mildred's new indoor enclosure (she is currently in very large guinea pig cage that is not holding humidity). Question: Because she enjoys her outdoor 'play pen" I thought I might forgo Ecco Earth inside and just use top soil so I can actually plant some of her plants rather than keep them in pots she keeps tipping over. I feel dumb asking this, but the top soil is ok, right? (obviously organic and she would have spaghum moss in her hide also). I just want my little girl happy until she is big enough to move outside full time. All advice welcome!

Happy 4th Everyone! ~Roxanne :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, top soil is fine. Also, just so you know, you can plant seeds and plants right into coconut coir too. Although it will grow better in soil, it does grow in coir also.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I use top soil with moss for the hide. It works great. My humidity comes from the bottom, and leaves the top layer relatively dry. If you have to mist a lot, it may get muddy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks everyone! I think I too will go with the topsoil/ecco earth mixture-thought it might save some $$$ as topsoil is certainly less expensive than the ecco earth. Of course I also just spent 15.00 on spaghum moss at PetSmart, only to find a bag twice as big at Home Depot for 4.00!! Live and learn I guess!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I mix because I find that the top soil at the home depots near me are usually sandy and don't retain the water as well as I would like, the coco helps it out.

Also check hydroponic supply stores, grow stores and feed stores for compressed coco coir bricks. A lot of them will have it and it is the same thing as eco earth but a lot less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.