Indian Spotted and Diamond Back Terrapin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We recently re-homed a red ear slider that spent a few days with us. This is the first time I had really taken care of a water turtle, and I was very fascinated by their behavior and the thought of expending my chelonian hobby.

So...I'm beginning research on some water turtles, and am particularly interested in indian spotted turtles and DBT's. I am interested in opinions of those who have these types of turtles...how do you like them in general? What is their difficulty level as far as overall husbandry? being in the AZ desert, which type (if either) would be best suitable to spend the summer outdoors? what type of diet do you have yours on? and other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jonathan512

5 Year Member
DBT's are my favorite ^^ I have 2 RES hatchlings and 2 DBT hatchlings and the sliders seem r so skittish while the DBTs are fearless lol they swim right up to me when I'm around or anyone else . So they're very personable and social little turtles I love mine i would def reccomend DBTs

I plan on getting them a 300 gallon stock tank when they're full grown and I'm gunna have that in my backyard so they get real sunlight ,I'm in Tx so it doesn't get 2 cold in the winters but I'm still gunna have them brought in during winter

I have mine eating on reptomin 3 in 1 right now ,it has krill ,baby shrimp and repto sticks .for treats I give them fish, ham ,shrimp and other meats

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for your response Jonathan!

*Bump* :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Of the two, I have only had the DTs. They are not only beautiful creatures, but as was said, they have great personalities. They were very hardy for me. Of course, I would really like to get some of those spotted ones myself. :p :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks Jacqui. If I ever get any, I'll try to get them to produce some split scutes for you.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I have 3 Diamondback Terrapins and absolutely love them. They are so elegant when they swim and have great personalities. They have been hardy for m and love their time outside in the summer in an old boat we have. I am sure they would love the chance to catch some Arizona rays.. :)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Some people regard DBTs as the second smartest of aquatic turtles after the NA woodies. Their availability is far greater than spotted ponds, but they're more prone to fungal infections caused by bad water quality. Many keepers prefer to keep them in brackish water as they'll be less prone to these infections, but the salinity can easily fluctuate when the water evaporates in the AZ sun. The spotted ponds are larger and more expensive but still manageable, and if you have a large pond stocked with snails (these turtles are molluscivores) then keeping them should be no problem. However, the spotted pond turtles are listed as a CITES 1 species (not because it's endangered but because India won't let them go), so unless you can find one of a legal origin in your state I'd recommend the DBT.

wildak

5 Year Member
I have had a lot of experience with aquatic turtles but have never had either of these.

I think a few people breed the Indian Spotteds in AZ so they would get my vote. They are a lot rarer and could use help with captive breeding. They get a bit bigger and I would assume they could take the heat well ( just guessing ) being from India.

If you could put them in a large outdoor pond the algea would grow like crazy so snails would breed like crazy for the turtle to munch on. You may need to check state laws about what snails you can have outside though to be safe.

I have been wanting Indian Spotted for some time now but there seems to be some issue with going across state lines. I know you can get "captive bred permit" for Radiated, Galapagoes and a couple others but for some reason it seems like Indian spotted and Amazon Spotteds still can't travel across state lines according to some. I can't find any info to explain why though, I figured if you are approved for CBW for these species it would'nt be an issue.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks you everyone for your input.

As I've been searching around, another type sparked my interest...the pastel red ear sliders. I think I would have a hard time finding adult pairs of this type, but I'll keep an eye out.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Neal said:

As I've been searching around, another type sparked my interest...the pastel red ear sliders. I think I would have a hard time finding adult pairs of this type, but I'll keep an eye out.

snap another great choice , i have 2 pastel sliders and theyre so kool i love em ^^ y wouldnt u want a hatchling though? or lings lol. most pastels are female so u would only need one if u wanted to breed em and a male slider of course

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Neal said:

Not to be a downer, but pastel RES are caused by either "cooking" the egg and/or exposing it to unnaturally high levels of CO2 to create their colors, and many end up with birth defects like bulging eyes or a deformed shell. But more often than not, they die before hatching. To me it just seems like a pretty unnecessary and cruel practice. Also, pastels are man made color morphs without any genetic differences from normal RES, so breeding them will give you regular RES offspring.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Neal said:

Not to be a downer, but pastel RES are caused by either "cooking" the egg and/or exposing it to unnaturally high levels of CO2 to create their colors, and many end up with birth defects like bulging eyes or a deformed shell. But more often than not, they die before hatching. To me it just seems like a pretty unnecessary and cruel practice. Also, pastels are man made color morphs without any genetic differences from normal RES, so breeding them will give you regular RES offspring.

Negative Nancy -_- lol i think theyre kool

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Some people regard DBTs as the second smartest of aquatic turtles after the NA woodies. Their availability is far greater than spotted ponds, but they're more prone to fungal infections caused by bad water quality. Many keepers prefer to keep them in brackish water as they'll be less prone to these infections, but the salinity can easily fluctuate when the water evaporates in the AZ sun. The spotted ponds are larger and more expensive but still manageable, and if you have a large pond stocked with snails (these turtles are molluscivores) then keeping them should be no problem. However, the spotted pond turtles are listed as a CITES 1 species (not because it's endangered but because India won't let them go), so unless you can find one of a legal origin in your state I'd recommend the DBT.

Being CITES doesn't have to0 do with anything other than Internation trade.......They are ESA listed, and can be shipped across State lines either gratis, or with a valid CBW Permit. I've sent some to Arizona, along with some other people in Florida, so they will be available in a few years, if not this season......

68merc said:
The Indiana spotted turtle is illegal in 49 of 50 states from what ive heard. FL being the one state you can have them.
http://www.asianturtle.org/images/species/Geoclemys_hamiltonii.jpg

There is a North American Spotted turtle. Id like a pond full of them and when i move to my next house (5-6 years from now) i will build a pond with them in mind.

Complete and utter misinformation.........They are legal to keep and own, in any State of the union.......See above......

AND another thought that I forgot to add - Hamiltoni are about the best "Pet" quality Turtle on the market by far........They are just about bullet proof - They can take both low and high temperatures, along with just about every other husbandry mistake you can throw at them and still thrive.......

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
jonathan512 said:
tortoises101 said:
Neal said:

:p :3

jonathan512

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
jonathan512 said:
tortoises101 said:
Neal said:

:p :3

(<>_<>) =p

Status
Not open for further replies.