Indian Pythons Keepers?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well I use to have a whole lotta snakes in the past. I added to our federal permit to deal with and focus on yet another endangered species under my list of species. I was wondering if anyone here new anyone that has some indian pythons or knows of anyone anymore that breeds them? It seems since they were put on the endangered species list in recent years they vanished. I would love any information towards aquiring a pair of these. They dont have to be studbooked I will take care of that, but would prefer genetic pure bloodlines.

Thanks,
Kelly

poison

5 Year Member
oh god i have never even seen one for sale. ive only seen them at zoos

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Bob clark had some, so did jay with prehistoric pets. Last reptile show I asked him, and he said they both dont have them anymore. I waited and waited and now they are gone. Maybe I can put an ad on kingsnake see what happens.

poison

5 Year Member
let me know how it turns out. and if you cant find one you may just have to settle with a burm jk

what were the prices on them?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ha. Nah had burms for years. They were 650 for a 36" pair. pretty cheap for how rare they are and even were 6-7 years ago when they were available.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
There was a professor at Claremont College that raised (and bred) them! He was offering a pair for $350 back in 2000...and he had 6 or 7 pairs. I considered it...but stuck with Burms...because their personalities are worlds apart.

poison

5 Year Member
now im on a mission to find one for sale lol. im probably not gonna buy one though to big for me.

poison

5 Year Member
he doesn't have any on his site

i just read some where that there illegal to take across state lines

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Nah they dont get anywhere near burm size usually around 12' You just need a CBW permit if getting them from accross state lines. I am going to have to check tom out.

poison

5 Year Member
so i was right it is illegal to take them across state lines unless you have a permit. im always right lol jk. good luck

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
poison said:

His site may not be updated. He does a lot on Facebook these days. You might also want to call him directly. Keep in mind that he was working with reptiles long before there was an internet. ;) Very old school. I just saw a post on his wall about some of his Indian pythons.

VERY good point! It is currently illegal to transport any member of Python molurus (which includes both Burmese & Indian pythons) across state lines.

http://studentofthereptile.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/us_final_python_rulemaking.pdf

The OP is out of luck unless he can find a source within his own state. :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well they way that permit works is called the lacey act. Any endangered species on the USFW list that is listed CITES 1 and authorized to be sold commercially you have to a Captive Bred Wildlife permit for. Some species that are CITES 1 you dont have to, like egyptian tortoises, spider tortoises just oblonga, and plaunacauda not brygooi or arachnoides varities. It simply is defined by the USFW to place them under the lacey act. If you possess an endangered species under that act your not suppose to cross state lines for commercial purposes. Commercial purposes are interpreted to them are "Sold or Purchased" animals in that classification. If you are in possesion of an animal under the Lacey act you can transport accross state lines, but if your caught usually its a long list of excruciating explainations and proof that its your animal and is solely being relocated like lets say your moving or just like the animal to be with you. Chances are very slim to be caught by a game warden while in transit with the animal. This is why anyone selling animals that require those permits ask for residency of the state the animal is being sold in or a valid CBW permit. Its pretty simple but can get complicated if need be.

StudentoftheReptile said:
poison said:

His site may not be updated. He does a lot on Facebook these days. You might also want to call him directly. Keep in mind that he was working with reptiles long before there was an internet. ;) Very old school. I just saw a post on his wall about some of his Indian pythons.

VERY good point! It is currently illegal to transport any member of Python molurus (which includes both Burmese & Indian pythons) across state lines.

http://studentofthereptile.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/us_final_python_rulemaking.pdf

The OP is out of luck unless he can find a source within his own state. :(

HMMMM well s***balls. I will have to contact USFW and see what limits or allowances my permit will let me get away with. What state is he in florida?

poison

5 Year Member
sorry i dont mean to always be right i just always am lol. its a curse

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
LOL. Thats funny. It happens. At least thats my understanding of the whole deal. All I know is I have a bunch of permits have had them for a while, I know recently alot has changed in the large snake and permitting deals, and addendums, and blah blah blah. Kinda sad seeing such animals like burms let out into the wild everglades, same with the way some people raise sulcatas or redfoots that you see on craiglist. Its the small percentage of un educated people going head forward in a hobby they dont fully understand and cause turmoil. Anyways. Well Hopefully I can find some here in the Republic O' Tejas.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tortadise said:
Well I use to have a whole lotta snakes in the past. I added to our federal permit to deal with and focus on yet another endangered species under my list of species. I was wondering if anyone here new anyone that has some indian pythons or knows of anyone anymore that breeds them? It seems since they were put on the endangered species list in recent years they vanished. I would love any information towards aquiring a pair of these. They dont have to be studbooked I will take care of that, but would prefer genetic pure bloodlines.

Thanks,
Kelly

i may know a guy, but it may be expensive lemme text him and see if he has some.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
tortadise said:
HMMMM well s***balls. I will have to contact USFW and see what limits or allowances my permit will let me get away with. What state is he in florida?

According to USARK, and a couple others I've talked to, its darn impossible for a regular joe to get the permit. That text is just there because it looks good on paper. They don't intend to hand out that permit to just anyone. :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
We will see. Ive been through some pretty serious inspections before. Im sure if they allow my organization to house ploushares Id hope they would let me facilitate some indian pythons. But I havent kept up with the modern snake laws or regulations, maybe not. Sucks they have made it so hard to attain large constrictors. Arent they trying to get boas on the list?

poison

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
We will see. Ive been through some pretty serious inspections before. Im sure if they allow my organization to house ploushares Id hope they would let me facilitate some indian pythons. But I havent kept up with the modern snake laws or regulations, maybe not. Sucks they have made it so hard to attain large constrictors. Arent they trying to get boas on the list?

i believe yellow anacondas were added on to the list but i could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.