Inactive star, Need help asap

PNM

Need help

I have two stars.. male n female.. since 15 days my female one is just sitting at one place, walk only at evening when she is hungry. Before 15 days she is active and roaming around.. also she eat less.. and only eat okra. Before she ate hibiscus flower and leaves, fenugreek, cilantro, okra, wheat grass etc.. is there any problem with her? Pls help me asap..

PNM

Her urine is white from last 6-7 days

1475418346545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make sure the temperature in the tortoise habitat is as warm as it should be. We don't have a star care sheet, but the care is similar as that for a leopard tortoise. You can read the leopard care sheet along with the link joesmum provided to help you set up your tortoises properly.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Hello @PNM and welcome to TFO

These tortoises are not social and should not be housed together. They need separate enclosures.

I have heard this statement multiple times on this forum. Please forgive me, but if we can talk more on it, it'd be nicer.

There are other websites, that claim that Stars are the most social amongst the tortoises.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Turtles-Tortoises/Indian-Star-Tortoise/
and
http://startortoises.net/profile.html

To quote some content from the 2nd link:

Personality
    • a calm, peaceful, and fairly shy tortoise
    • can be very sensitive to stress
    • personable, learns to recognize its keeper
    • becomes more outgoing over time
    • not aggressive
    • does well in small groups of its own kind
After caring for my torts for 2 years now, I can say I've concluded to agree with the traits mentioned here. Bullet 3 is the most important. They took a good amount of time to get accustomed. In 2 years now, now I see that they do not pull their head in, when I'm touching their shell etc.

So, I have 2 of the stars together and they seem to be doing fine so far. I've read stories on this forum and that's something that keeps me cautious but so far I've not much seen some of the characteristics that has been mentioned.

It could very well be that most caretakers here are people outside India. I'm not sure if that plays that important a factor, but they are native to this land.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Need help

I have two stars.. male n female.. since 15 days my female one is just sitting at one place, walk only at evening when she is hungry. Before 15 days she is active and roaming around.. also she eat less.. and only eat okra. Before she ate hibiscus flower and leaves, fenugreek, cilantro, okra, wheat grass etc.. is there any problem with her? Pls help me asap..

Is she having enough sun ?

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
@RickyGoldsmith I have no experience with Stars (yet, but they're a species that really fascinates me) so maybe it's not my place to comment, but there's a difference between a small group and a pair. In a small group of let's say 4 or 5 tortoises any aggression tends to be spread out evenly. With just two animals though this isn't possible and one can essentially become a "bully".

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
@RickyGoldsmith I have no experience with Stars (yet, but they're a species that really fascinates me) so maybe it's not my place to comment, but there's a difference between a small group and a pair. In a small group of let's say 4 or 5 tortoises any aggression tends to be spread out evenly. With just two animals though this isn't possible and one can essentially become a "bully".

Hmmm. Yes, that's a good point. I'm going to keep watching them to see any such signs. Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What temperatures do you have where your torts are kept (max/min)? It's possible that your torts are just not warm enough

As tortoises are cold blooded, they must be able to bask in order to raise their body temperature to eat, digest food and be active.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
I'm from Gujarat, India. And it's rainy season now so not enough sun.. daily 15-20 minutes r enough??

I don't have a number but what I do is I spend around hrs with them, for their basking. I think your tort just has not had some good basking.

Also, you need to make sure it is direct sunlight. Not through glass.

PNM

I don't have a number but what I do is I spend around hrs with them, for their basking. I think your tort just has not had some good basking.

Also, you need to make sure it is direct sunlight. Not through glass.
There's no sun in this season so what is the other way?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
There's no sun in this season so what is the other way?

What @JoesMum mentioned is the best alternative option. Unfortunately, I haven't built that backup setup yet.

So far, what I've done is to not interrupt my torts on batch of days, when it is cold and not much sun (Had it recently, for 2 weeks. No sun light). They tend to remain dull/inactive during those times, and it is better to not disturb them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Need help

The first thing you need to do is separate them. Groups are usually fine, but pairs are usually not fine. The presence of the second tortoise is enough to stress out the other one, hampering the immune system and decreasing appetite, even if it doesn't "do" anything. While you are waiting for outward obvious signs of aggression, your other tortoise is suffering in silence. Separate them. Groups are not the same thing as pairs. Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

A lot of people from warmer climates seem to think their tortoise does not need heat lamps and a proper set up when kept indoors. They do. Get your tortoise outside into a proper enclosure for sunning, grazing and exercise on days with nice weather, but on overcast cooler days set your tortoises up inside with a properly lit and heated enclosure like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Then read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Finally, this one was written for sulcatas. For a star tortoise, use less emphasis on grass and just scroll down to the food list:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

PNM

Hi all

She is fine now.. and thank u so much for giving me very useful tips and advice

I am making house for both

Thank u again