Inactive Lola

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake district, England
Worried about Lola

Hi just recently we have noticed a change in our russian tortoise Lola's behaviour. She seems to sleep quite alot and only really comes out for food and a little wander then goes right back to digging in her soil under the heatlamp. I would have thought that this might be more normal in the winter but its started getting warmer now...
Also she has been outside for a few hours on a couple of days during the last few weeks and she was quite happy then, but now the temperature has dropped back down again and its dull and rainy.
Is she unhappy/depressed in the house she used to love? Does she want to live outside even though its still too cold? or is there a bigger problem like illness?
Thanks for any ideas you can give :) x

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Worried about Lola

Sounds like the weather is affecting her. Their activity levels depend on heat and light, even when provided substitutes, they often do slow down some when the temperature changes.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England

sorry i didnt realise there was a very similar post a few down :/ silly me! thank you Captain Awesome (i have to call you that now) that makes a lot of sense its jut all through winter she was active not sleepy which makes me confused!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

I haven't seen that post yet, but my 2 adult female torts did that last Spring (became blah), burrowing, etc. Didn't make sense!
Then they finally went to the outside enclosure more and more after May/June and became different torts. Didn't seem to have hurt them at all.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
Hi :)
I posted a while back about Lola our Horsefield Tortoise and her inactivity levels.
Basically she just sleeps all the time! We get her out and soak her in the morning and she appears perfectly healthy no runny nose etc she will then eat her breakfast and go back to sleep for the rest of the day, even if we put in more food, unless we wake her up. When we do wake her up and get her outside on nice days she is quite active and inquisitive, until she finds her favourite spot to dig and then she isnt seen for the rest of the day! She still pees and poos like normal.
Her temps are 72-75 in the cool end, 92-95 under the basking light and 65 to 68 at night. We have tried lowering the temperature in case it was too hot, we have tried raising the temp in case it was too low and then we have reset it back to normal.
We are getting really worried now and wondered if anybody else had any ideas about what we could do?
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard who is 15 months old pretty much does the same thing. Except he will come out in the morning on his own and eat. Then I put him outside, he goes and hides and sleeps. He might come out once that I see him during his time outside. If he comes out more, I don't see him. Then 7-8 pm I bring him in, soak and then into his night home where he might eat or not a d off to bed. Still being little, I do think it's normal. Their small size makes them prey and they don't realize we have taken care to protect them. As long as everything else is normal, I don't think you need to worry. See what others have to say.

happytrees72

5 Year Member
She seems just fine to me. As long as food is being brought to her no need to move and the digging is to regulate her body temp. Mine loves to borrow and will spend days in her borrow because of the heat. Its very common in hot hummid weather for them to spend all their time in borrows and will not even eat every day. Shear laziness. Try moving her food and making her work for it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi happytrees72:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi ashned7:

(Did you ever decide what you'd like us to call you?)

Since you first started this thread 3 months ago and haven't noticed much change in the tortoise (steppe tortoise/russian tortoise), then I think you are right to be concerned.

Is there any chance you can get this tortoise set up outside? It might be as simple as the tortoise needs something more to think about...a nice outdoor habitat usually offers that. Put Lola out even on days that aren't so nice. Its still better than being cooped up inside all the time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Being outside might help, russians tend to do much better outside, Was she a pet store tortoise? did she go to a vet for a fecal test? A high parasite load could also affect her activity levels.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
Hi thanks for all your help :) we have her outside as much as possible at the moment nearly every day, at least 3 times a week but it has just rained here for 3 days solidly :( she was outside all day again today and she is active in a change of surroundings but all she really does is look for somewhere to sleep! She had a little wander then went straight to her favourite plant pot and wasnt seen until bed time!
Yeah she was a pet store tortoise and we never had her to the vet (yet) so if that would be the next step then that will definately be happening next! Thank you all :)
p.s calling me ash is fine :D

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
emysemys said:
Hi happytrees72:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi ashned7:

(Did you ever decide what you'd like us to call you?)

Since you first started this thread 3 months ago and haven't noticed much change in the tortoise (steppe tortoise/russian tortoise), then I think you are right to be concerned.

Is there any chance you can get this tortoise set up outside? It might be as simple as the tortoise needs something more to think about...a nice outdoor habitat usually offers that. Put Lola out even on days that aren't so nice. Its still better than being cooped up inside all the time.

Hi :) we thought about what you said and as she cant be outside all the time we sorted out Lola's home a little bit. Its now bigger and hopefully more interesting!
We are hoping this does the trick as everything else about her is normal :D
Thanks x

Attachments

• DSCF1986.JPG
    DSCF1986.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF2008.JPG
    DSCF2008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCF2003.JPG
    DSCF2003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44