Im intrested in owning a tortoise

megan mckay

hi everyone I'm new to the whole tortoise world and would be really interested in owning one. but of course I don't want to just jump straight in, because that would incredibly irresponsible. so Ive been doing some research but cant seem to find some or the answers I'm looking for. I know some of these questions may be a bit obvious but as I say I'm extremely new and know next to nothing about tortoise owning.
what do they eat?
What are there exercise requirements?
What are their housing requirements?
Do certain breeds have to live in a group of more than one or are they ok alone?
What kind of bedding do they need?
Can they live just outside or do they need inside and outside housing?
Are they hard to take care of?
if there are any other things that you think I need to know that might seem obvious I would still like to know. thanks for your help.

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am also new to tortoises...but I will give it a go since I am in the process of reading everything I come across. There are books about this too...but in short:

Food. Depends on the species. But weeds and/or grasses are the mainstay.

They wander over hectares in the wild so they need ample space.

Housing. Depends on species and the environment you live in. I will need indoor, outdoor and brumation space for mine.

Number. Best kept alone (unless you plan to breed). Do not mix species.

They can be kept outside if they are old enough and the environment is compatible for that species.

I think they are hard/finicky to get set-up properly. But once you have their "habitat" in place and a routine set they are fairly easy to maintain.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
All of your questions have different answers depending on what species of tortoise you're talking about. Some tortoises eat a lot of grass, others no grass. Some eat animal protein, others no animal protein. Some eat mushrooms and fruit, others no mushrooms and fruit, etc.

What are you looking for in a tortoise, in terms of size and habitat? What size space do you have to keep the tortoise in and what climate do you live in? We can answer your questions better if you narrow things down a little.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Megan, and welcome to the Forum!

I think Rue did a very good job of answering your questions.

We have some good care sheets for a few of the different species. They are pinned at the tops of the species sections.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Welcome to the forum. What species are you planning to keep? Their requirements are different.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I suggest looking in the species specific section for the tortoises you are considering. Read each care guide, and ask all the questions you have. Tortoises can live for over a hundred years, so you are very wise to research first.

megan mckay

I am also new to tortoises...but I will give it a go since I am in the process of reading everything I come across. There are books about this too...but in short:

Food. Depends on the species. But weeds and/or grasses are the mainstay.

They wander over hectares in the wild so they need ample space.

Housing. Depends on species and the environment you live in. I will need indoor, outdoor and brumation space for mine.

Number. Best kept alone (unless you plan to breed). Do not mix species.

They can be kept outside if they are old enough and the environment is compatible for that species.

I think they are hard/finicky to get set-up properly. But once you have their "habitat" in place and a routine set they are fairly easy to maintain.
hi thanks for the help I think I'm looking at getting a horsefield tortoise. does this specify and of the answers

Rue

Canada
Yes. A Horsfield's or Russian (grouped under the umbrella of Mediterranean Tortoises) will require different care than a Redfoot (grouped under the umbrella of Rainforest Tortoises) for example.

Some basic care is the same for all tortoises, but there are different details you need to be aware of like day/night temperatures, best relative humidity etc.

But at least now you can look up care for that particular species...and see if you are able to meet all of it's requirements.