advice on owning a red foot tortoise

lorraine10973

Hi I'm lorraine from Kent UK . I've recently joined this group I'm looking for as much advice I can on owning ..caring for and making sure I have all the right equipment for a red foot tortoise. I'm unsure as to exactly what he needs to be housed in and even what what lighting , heating etc ..any help will be very much appreciated. .Thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
It will need UVB lighting and heat of between 80-90 degrees. DO NOT purchase a coiled compact florescent bulb.
It will need humidity of at least 75% constantly.
I'd start with a sub adult because tiny babies are much less hardy and much more difficult for a beginner to raise.
You will need a large enclosure. The larger the better and don't buy a pair.
Tortoises do not get lonely. They see other torts as competition for food, etc.
Search and read our Redfoot tortoise care link and make sure that a tropical species is what you are able to care for.

lorraine10973

Thank you for your reply ..what's the best way to monitor the humidity? And what is best to use for heating .sorry for all the questions .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some folks use a MVB (MERCURY VAPOR) bulb for heat and uvb
I use a florescent strip light and no other heat source. I live in the tropics. So it comes down to what is required in your location and situation. There is no "best" as far as heating and lighting.
Keep in mind that Redfoot do not require or like bright lights. But they do need warmth and uvb. You'll have to see what best works for you. Hopefully someone closer to your location will give you some tips.

lorraine10973

Hi Joesmom ..Thank you for commenting ... im now the owner of a lovely little 6 year horsefield. He's had a lovely day in the garden today here in Margate