I'm getting antsy!

Amanda A

Hi there!

I'm new to the torty world, and so excited about it all! I already have a Bearded Dragon that I am head-over-heels in love with. I get all of his bugs from a local reptile store, The Serpentarium, and they have had a couple Tortoise hatchlings over the past several months. I instantly fell for the Leopard after seeing the beautiful shell design and doing my initial research. After taking a several months to think and be sure I'm not being impulsive, I have determined that I truly DO want to love a care for a tort for the many years it would be with me!

Anyway, that's my tortoise back story. Now I plan on spending a few months researching, preparing and getting together the proper equipment. I feel very lucky to have found this forum right off the bat. I can tell that this will be a total game changer! I have already learned a lot through reading others' posts about existing concerns and current experiences. There are a few names that I recognize and respect already, like @Tom and @Yvonne G and others. I can already tell that you guys are going to make this experience SO much more wonderful, and far less scary! When I got my beardie I did loads of research, got all the correct equipment, and then went into full fledged panic mode on a weekly basis. I was POSITIVE I was doing everything wrong. A year later and he's doing great, by the way!

Side note here, I know better than to buy from a pet store. I bought my beardie from a breeder. But I have gotten very comfortable with The Serpentarium, and after some more research I might feel comfortable buying from them. I would love advice from anyone that knows what to look for, or might be already familiar with this specific sompany. I now know to check the baby torts humidity. Their reptiles always look bright, beautiful, happy, and alert. The staff are incredibly knowledgeable. And I would be absolutely shocked to hear of any negative treatment or breeding practices. And I am VERY judgemental of pet stores. (Vent: There is a pet store near me using the incorrect UVB bulb for their beardies PLUS a plastic covering over the light completely. They didn't care a wink when I informed them of this! I won't even walk in there anymore.)

I think that's more than enough for now! I look forward to mingling amongst you all!

Amanda A

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you believe in doing your homework which is excellent! :)
I Do! Especially when considering a pet that will part of your family for so very long! And I don't ever want to be the reason another living being suffers. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I Do! Especially when considering a pet that will part of your family for so very long! And I don't ever want to be the reason another living being suffers. :)
Well we're at 46 years and still going strong with our tortoise... hopefully you'll be just the same :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. What you need to know about a leopard hatchling is how it was started. If they are not kept in a humid environment from the very beginning there is a chance of organ damage from dehydration. These babies look fine for a while. Are active and good eaters. They fail to grow though, and stall around 50 grams. The shell gets thin and soft, and they eventually pass. I have had this happen, and would not buy a baby from anyone unless I could talk directly to the breeder.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Amanda, and welcome to the Forum!

Amanda A

Welcome to the forum. What you need to know about a leopard hatchling is how it was started. If they are not kept in a humid environment from the very beginning there is a chance of organ damage from dehydration. These babies look fine for a while. Are active and good eaters. They fail to grow though, and stall around 50 grams. The shell gets thin and soft, and they eventually pass. I have had this happen, and would not buy a baby from anyone unless I could talk directly to the breeder.

I didn't know about this until reading about it on here a few days ago, and it has brought up some questions for me. For starters, the pyramiding of the shell. I see it on so many images that I assumed it was a normal feature of them! I'm so glad I know better now. But I still don't understand it much. May be someone here can point me towards a thread on this? I've already determined that I will be getting a humidifier and a thermostat to help regulate temp and humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't know about this until reading about it on here a few days ago, and it has brought up some questions for me. For starters, the pyramiding of the shell. I see it on so many images that I assumed it was a normal feature of them! I'm so glad I know better now. But I still don't understand it much. May be someone here can point me towards a thread on this? I've already determined that I will be getting a humidifier and a thermostat to help regulate temp and humidity.

I doubt anyone has really figured out the why of it or the how of it, all we know is that humidity works. Towards the bottom of this thread Tom talks about baby tortoises, humidity and pyramiding:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Amanda A

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. These will help you learn what to ask about when considering the purchase of a hatchling.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

You will hear all sorts of reasons why this info is not available, or why these things don't matter, or are wrong. Don't buy from those people. The majority of people you contact will be in this category, unless you start calling on breeders from this forum who know better. Early dehydration kills babies months down the road, and then the breeder/seller blames the new owner.

Amanda A

Hello and welcome. These will help you learn what to ask about when considering the purchase of a hatchling.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

You will hear all sorts of reasons why this info is not available, or why these things don't matter, or are wrong. Don't buy from those people. The majority of people you contact will be in this category, unless you start calling on breeders from this forum who know better. Early dehydration kills babies months down the road, and then the breeder/seller blames the new owner.
Can you give me your opinion on the reply I received when I emailed the companies info address? He signed as the CEO and President of the company. The company does have a 1 year pet protection plan, for whatever that's worth. Here's his reply:
"Hello, Amanda,
We do not share supplier info but I assure you that we only purchase animals from reputable people. We get most of our Leopards from someone in Florida and they are raised outdoors for a couple months before we get them. We should have more available soon."

And here's the link to their "Why Buy From Us" page: http://www.snakemuseum.com/content/65-why-buy-from-us

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you give me your opinion on the reply I received when I emailed the companies info address? He signed as the CEO and President of the company. The company does have a 1 year pet protection plan, for whatever that's worth. Here's his reply:
"Hello, Amanda,
We do not share supplier info but I assure you that we only purchase animals from reputable people. We get most of our Leopards from someone in Florida and they are raised outdoors for a couple months before we get them. We should have more available soon."

And here's the link to their "Why Buy From Us" page: http://www.snakemuseum.com/content/65-why-buy-from-us

I would not buy from them. Few breeders start them right. Outside all day is not good for babies. Buy from a breeder who can share every detail of how the baby was started.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
FYI I have Hatchlings. A couple available now, and half a dozen that will be well started and ready in about 6 weeks. IM me if you're interested in talking.

Amanda A

I would not buy from them. Few breeders start them right. Outside all day is not good for babies. Buy from a breeder who can share every detail of how the baby was started.
Thank you Tom. I was leaning this way, I'm glad for the confirmation.

Amanda A

FYI I have Hatchlings. A couple available now, and half a dozen that will be well started and ready in about 6 weeks. IM me if you're interested in talking.
Thank you Jodie. I won't be ready quite that soon. I'll have to spend a few months getting the supplies ready, as I cannot afford the whole shah-bang at once. If my circumstance changes I'll let you know!