I'm a lettuce idiot...

Anna!

5 Year Member
I just bought a new package of "artisan lettuce" from my grocery store but it doesn't actually list which types of lettuce they are. I figure as long as it's not iceberg I'm ok, but I want to know what I'm feeding my tort! I thought one of them might be frisée but after image searching for frisée it doesn't quite match up. I've never spent so much time researching lettuce before! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks to me like red and green leaf lettuce .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Try to stay away from lettuce if at all possible, low nutrional valur, there ae so many better foods around even in a grocery stoore. Dandelions, mustard,turnip, radish tops, yummy!

Anna!

5 Year Member
Thanks! I don't feed a ton of lettuce, but I saw this and figured it might be a nice change of pace from what I've been feeding her (Grass clippings, escarole, radicchio, kale, turnip greens, spring mix, grassland tort food, wheat grass, and she snacks on the plants growing her her tank).

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Wait, she eats all of that? def. stay away from the lettuces, that diet you described is fantastic and varied on it's own.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just bought a new package of "artisan lettuce" from my grocery store but it doesn't actually list which types of lettuce they are. I figure as long as it's not iceberg I'm ok, but I want to know what I'm feeding my tort! I thought one of them might be frisée but after image searching for frisée it doesn't quite match up. I've never spent so much time researching lettuce before! :)
I'm no sure but lettuce know when you find out what it is. lol

Anna!

5 Year Member
@Anyfoot hahahah!!

And @dmmj I think she has a pretty good diet, but when I was at the store today I got the munchies on her behalf! :) I'll stick to her usual foods form now on.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Don't get me wrong, it's great to try new things, but with that diet, if the tortoise were mine, I just wouldn't add lettuce.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I feed mine lettuce with the other things the seem to love to have the lettuce as a treat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think people say not to feed lettuce because it does not have a high nutritional value, therefore it is a poor choice to feed as a primary part of the diet. But if you feed it now and then along with a varied diet there is nothing wrong with it. if anything it at least gives them water. and tortoises really like it so if they are fed it to often they will not want to eat the good stuff. So don't stress out about it, feed it to your tortoise, feed it to yourself :)consider it a little treat.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The fringe looking one with thin stems is endive, I am pretty sure. It is a good choice as far as lettuce goes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Thanks! I don't feed a ton of lettuce, but I saw this and figured it might be a nice change of pace from what I've been feeding her (Grass clippings, escarole, radicchio, kale, turnip greens, spring mix, grassland tort food, wheat grass, and she snacks on the plants growing her her tank).
Gotta second Dave on this one! Your diet far supersedes any benefit you could attain from packaged lettuce!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I am going to jump out an admit I've been calling arugula "wavy lettuce" since thats how I first identified it.
And another thing....lettuce is not considered "greens" but it is green ! Just thought I'd mention that ! I'm "challenged" too, no worries !
Sheldon eats good !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can improve the value of the lettuce by mixing in some chopped and soaked grass hay, fresh grass clippings, some herbal hay or some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets. I do all of the above.

The lettuce is a good delivery agent for the other stuff.

Lots of variety is good, and I think you are doing a fine job.