Only eating lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexx

5 Year Member
Ive had my hermann tortoise for a week now and all I've been able to get him to eat is romaine lettuce, I've tried carrot, parsnip, pear, apple, strawberry and butternut squash. I've grated it and left it as chunks n he just doesn't eat it. I think all he ate at the pet shop was lettuce. Ive tried not giving him lettuce n just bits of the other lot but he doesn't eat so I end up giving him lettuce coz I don't want him not to eat. Has anyone got any suggestions?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Have you tried garden weeds from somewhere without pesticides? It's great that you're attempting to give him a lot of variety, but the majority of his diet will need to be weeds/greens, without too much fruit. Daffodils are Emrys' favourite, and clover a close second. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Suggestion - Stop feeding fruit and lettuce ;) Fruit is not good for your tortoise in large amounts, and he can't eat lettuce if you don't give it to him. Start offering dark leafy greens instead, like kale, turnip greens, chicory, and collards. He will not starve himself. Just employ a little tough love.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Dice lettuce as small as posible and dice all other veg etc then each time you feed take away the quantity of romaine lettuce and add other things and he should forget about it...unless you fall soft?
TOUGH LOVE
Is the only way!

Alexx

5 Year Member
Thanku for the tips :) I only gave him one strawberry coz I read that they shouldn't eat much fruit n he didn't touch it at all. I'll try the weeds and the dark leaves :)

Status
Not open for further replies.