illness & throwing up

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Danofloxacin (Advocin) is in the same "family" of drugs as Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is most likely the reason the tortoise is favoring the leg where it was injected. The same reaction is often noted with Baytril injections.
I looked up danofloxacin on Drugs.com, since I had never heard of it before. That site only referenced beef cattle, but stated that the drug can cause enough damage to the skin and muscle at the injection site that the area needs to be excised at the time of slaughter, at least 4 days after dosing.

Also, it is to be injected sub Q. I wonder if the tort was injected IM?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you so much either way. i'll message you if needed, but i'm hoping i don't have to get to that quite yet.
Just so there's no confusion... @Maggie3fan does know what she's talking about! If there is any sign of your tort not improving, PM Maggie right away. She would be a valuable resource to you even after this current crisis is over. She could help you with getting all of your enclosure problems fixed, without breaking the bank.

tvboys

Washington
sorry for being a bit late! i wound up having heart issues after LOL great timing. i'm fine right now, though.

update on the tort.. she's doing okay so far. i'm honestly surprised by how alert she was after finally waking up; she was asleep for a full 12 hours. she was injected with a regular needle used for injections, but we currently don't have her- the only vet willing to take her has her to give her fluids overnight since she was refusing water from us. she was just a little too stressed and didn't want anything until she was calmed down, so they're working on it.

she's since eaten and seems fairly aware, according to them; we're getting her back on monday. hoping she's okay when we get her back; i'm probably going to call sometime tomorrow to ask how she (& the injection site) are doing.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
sorry for being a bit late! i wound up having heart issues after LOL great timing. i'm fine right now, though.

update on the tort.. she's doing okay so far. i'm honestly surprised by how alert she was after finally waking up; she was asleep for a full 12 hours. she was injected with a regular needle used for injections, but we currently don't have her- the only vet willing to take her has her to give her fluids overnight since she was refusing water from us. she was just a little too stressed and didn't want anything until she was calmed down, so they're working on it.

she's since eaten and seems fairly aware, according to them; we're getting her back on monday. hoping she's okay when we get her back; i'm probably going to call sometime tomorrow to ask how she (& the injection site) are doing.
Please keep us updated! We're all pulling for her...glad to hear there's some improvement.

tvboys

Washington
sorry for the time i've been gone! (again!)
took so long to update because they couldnt get their x-ray people until recently. she only came home two days ago.
it was mostly the same info as before, other than the occasional "sorry, we're working on it".

she's still definitely off and slept for a good.. 24 hours? over? once she got home. my theory is that she got too cold because my family member didn't get the right bulb again, considering she was noticeably chilly. she might be constipated on top of that, lovely!

she's been stretching her back legs out as far as they'll go then raising her head or pushing her head farther into her shell than usual. she's also still making an odd noise occasionally when she breathes; its a weird click-y type noise.
right now she's just kind of relaxing after a warm bath. hopefully she's alright.

tvboys

Washington
okay, sorry for the extra post (is that okay on here? my forum etiquette is outdated); wanted to fill in with more info now that i can, was in a rush. she has the proper bulb now and is warming up. we thought we were going to get her back a different monday and wound up waiting an extra week for results & blood draws, just to make sure on every front.

she's sort of just idly wandering her enclosure, looking up at the ceiling occasionally. i've also never heard her stomach make a gurgling noise, that's a first for her (& me). we noticed when she got back that the top & side of her neck is tinted sort of.. red? her beak is also stained green.

the click-y noise is on-and-off; its been a little while since weve heard it. on top of that, shes been making an odd wet noise when she swallows. they did scans to see if her lungs were off and they seemed fine, albeit a bit weaker than usual. her glucose was pretty high but they figured it was just stress when it went down.

we're still sort of confused, but we're making sure she eats and drinks plenty (though we're pacing her on the food, just incase she gets sick again. its what the vet suggested, so hopefully its alright?) she's been eating absolutely ravenously, she just cant get enough of food right now.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Keep her warm and keep up the warm soaks! Good for you for caring so much. Keep us updated!