If you won the lotto..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Since I have a lot of money left, I would like to set up some kind of a program with interest free loans or outright gifts of money for folks to buy animals, setup enclosures or pay medical bills.
Trust me. Most loans become gifts anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That much?! Guess I need to keep shopping then.

Yep. Your going to have to work much harder to spend it all. :)

My big question to everyone is: Do you take the lump sum one time payment and lose nearly half the winnings, because $90 million is really enough, or do you take the annual payments for 20 years and retain more of your winnings?

I'll start: Being a relatively young man, I would opt for the 20 annual payments. 90 million is nice, but I could do more good in the world with 120+ million. Plus, the annual payments would be more than 6 million a year. If I can't live and do all the things I wanna do on 6 mil a year, every year, well, something would be terribly wrong with me.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would help friends and family . Then give some cash to war vets . I've always wanted to pickup a homeless person and give them a starter house and job to see what they would do with the help .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

My big question to everyone is: Do you take the lump sum one time payment and lose nearly half the winnings, because $90 million is really enough, or do you take the annual payments for 20 years and retain more of your winnings?

I'll start: Being a relatively young man, I would opt for the 20 annual payments. 90 million is nice, but I could do more good in the world with 120+ million. Plus, the annual payments would be more than 6 million a year. If I can't live and do all the things I wanna do on 6 mil a year, every year, well, something would be terribly wrong with me.

I am almost 60, so 20 years might be pushing it (though most of my family does live to their 80s with several 100 plus ladies).

AnimalLady

I'd take the 20 years, i'm young enough for it. It would also prevent me from blowing everything super fast.
Have you seen that show "Lottery changed my life" a lot of those people are damn near out of money already! I dont want to be like that. 6mil a year is sooooooo enough for me and my lifestyle!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
annual payments I couldn't give that much away just to get it all up front quickly I just couldn't do it

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think I would take the lump sum. Interest and profits would get the money back in 20 years, I think. The first thing I would do, is hire a financial advisor. My top priority would be to invest in something, enough to create enough income, that I can give money away now and for the rest of my life to family, friends and deserving strangers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lol. Adam buys tickets sometimes. Haven't won yet though. Not holding my breath.

Same here with Jeff. It is fun to dream though. I already have my financial adviser and boy is he tough. (My youngest son who is a penny pincher)

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Take it all at once, pay the big tax hit, then put it all in various trusts to mitigate future tax hits. Trust #1 = Set enough aside for my unborn child to not have to worry about little stuff ever (though I wouldn't tell them about it until they become of age just to mess with him/her), Trust #2 = Make sure parents never have to worry about anything ever again (Full disclosure: They're old, shouldn't take much), Trust #3 = Few hundred thousand for personal use (not sure what owning a 200+ mph car feels like, but one day I'd like to) and Trust #4 = Majority of funds to open up and subsequently maintain the "Southern Nevada Center for Canine and Chelonian Compassion" (or SNVCCCC for short) until I die or run out of money.

Marivladi

Portland, OR
If I won a lottery I would probably agree to payments instead of a lump sum.

I would buy my mom a place to live.

Bring my parents in law from Belarus to live with us in our new big house with nice property.

Travel a bit. I want to go to Scotland so bad. Also other parts of Europe, Spain, Italy, Israel, New Zealand and Australia.

I would get a German shepherd puppy or two of them :).

I would probably try and have another baby (IVF).

Would definitely help out some friends and family.

I think I would open up some kind of business not to be bored (that is if I'm not busy with a new baby:).

I would chip in to buy chemo pills and for the walls building projects for Tom and Evonne (spell?).

Overall you guys are pretty generous and selfless bunch, good folks, that's why I love this forum.:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Take it all at once, pay the big tax hit, then put it all in various trusts to mitigate future tax hits. Trust #1 = Set enough aside for my unborn child to not have to worry about little stuff ever (though I wouldn't tell them about it until they become of age just to mess with him/her), Trust #2 = Make sure parents never have to worry about anything ever again (Full disclosure: They're old, shouldn't take much), Trust #3 = Few hundred thousand for personal use (not sure what owning a 200+ mph car feels like, but one day I'd like to) and Trust #4 = Majority of funds to open up and subsequently maintain the "Southern Nevada Center for Canine and Chelonian Compassion" (or SNVCCCC for short) until I die or run out of money.
200 mph motorcycles can be had for $17,500
See your local Kawasaki dealer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm waiting for someone to say they will spend it all on themselves not share with anyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to spend it all on myself and not share it with anyone. (I hated to see poor David sitting there waiting...waiting...waiting)