Identification

dl450

Any idea what kind of tort this is he was given to me by a friend he is three years old which worries me because how small he is (I can give specifics on setup and his diet/lights/humidity if you want them) he said he was a hermanns so I've been caring for him for the past week like that but I'm concerned for his size. Let me know if you have any ideas just want the best for this little fella (I revived him because the friend left for college and couldn't take him)

image.jpg image.jpg

BILBO-03

I think it's Hermans tortoise I may be wrong though. Someone more experienced will chime in:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I think it's Hermans tortoise I may be wrong though. Someone more experienced will chime in:)

I agree, also as @Tom stated in another thread something looks off with the shell. Possibly MBD, what do you know about the past with the first owner

dl450

I agree, also as @Tom stated in another thread something looks off with the shell. Possibly MBD, what do you know about the past with the first owner
Not much I also have two leopard geckos so he knew I liked reptiles so he gave it to me I do know he kept him on a coil uvb bulb so I'm planning on changing that but everything seems normal

Rylatts

UK
Is it just me or does it look very similar to my Spur-thighed tortoise (Testudo graeca) Mine's only a one year old, judging from the picture of him in your hand i would say they are about the same size too, which is strange. Mine weighs nearly 300grams.

Hope this helpsIMG_20160929_095558.jpg IMG_20160929_095554.jpg

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
looks like a dalmatian hermanns tortoise to me! but i could be wrong of course

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I'd say it's an Eastern Hermanns. Could be a cross breed. Defiantly a Hermann.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Chris Leone has a very nice webpage addressing this. Check Hermannihaven.com

Click Hermanni tab at top.

Gives excellent info with pics of carapace and plastron.

This is a Western--note the 4th vertebral scute and the mushroom cloud/keyhole on the 5th.

But the shape is abnormal. That's why people are concerned about MBD.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Yes check with Hermannichris he is the expert around here, But just by using his id photos you should come to the conclusion that it's an eastern due to the fact that it's dull and not pronounced on the fifth scute. Kinda looks like my easterns. Western seem to have colors that stand out more. Would love to hear what the expert says. Either way a Hermanns.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
It's all good we're all just trying to help out. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. We all love our torts here. That's why we come here for advice.:cool:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

A gorgeous little tort. GOD bless.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Agreed on Eastern Hermann's.

The shell abnormality could be a harmless incubation/developmental abnormality or a result of bad husbandry; hard to tell from pictures.

If it was kept with only a coil bulb, it may have been too cool. Prolonged temps that are too low leads to diminished activity and appetite and could account for very minimal growth(it is quite small if it is in fact 3 y.o.).

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's an eastern as Gary already stated. Westerns are much, much different.