Eyes not fully opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
For the last 2 days Shelldon hasn't eaten much of his food.

On closer examination this evening his eyes aren't fully opened. The outer lids are open, but the inner ones are only about 1/3 open.

As a test I went and got his favourite treat (a cherry tomato) and held it in front of him and he ate it with much enthusiasm. When I wasn't holding it for him though, he seemed to bite into the air a lot.

So...he seems to have an appetite, which I am happy about, but now I am concerned that he isn't eating because he can't see his food, and there is something wrong with his eyes.

He has an MVB bulb and cypress mulch for substrate. Shelldon is 1 1/2 years old and has had the same setup for about a year.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am deeply concerned. I have misted his eyes a few times in the last couple hours hoping to add some moisture.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Do you have any Terramycin you can put on his eyes? It's an anti-bacterial treatment and can help, at the very least, hydrate his eyes. Misting is a good start though. What humidity do you have his enclosure at? I use cypress mulch too, and it can get very, very dry if not turned up daily.

How is his breathing? Is it normal/labored? Bubbles out of his nose, etc? I am a very paranoid person, and would set up an appt at the vet. It could simply be eye irritation, or it could be something else. Eye problems tend to be on the symptoms list for several health problems, like a respiratory infection.

If you prefer to treat on your own, get Terramycin and apply 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks (someone may have different dosage info, but this is what I've used). You should see at least some improvement in the first week, but it can take longer to fully resolve.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thank you.

I don't have any Teramycin, but will try to get some tonight. He definetely doesn't have any bubbling from the nose, but his activity level is decreased as well as his appetite :(

I think I'll try some extra soaks and add some polyvitamin drops or baby food too.

Billsa

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Billsa and I'm from the UK
I am having same problem with my tortious's eyes did the eye treatment work

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would shut the light off and simply replace it with a black heat lamp, I would also soak your tort two times a day and continue to offer food as regular...have you checked your temps and all to make sure he is getting warm enough as well?

I would absolutely shut the bright light off for a few days and continue soaks and be sure to drizzle the clean water over his head/eyes each time you soak him (gently and slowly so he does not tuck before the water can do any good to flushing his eyes)...then go from there...just what I would do :D

Also, if he is having sight issues he would slow down his activity as well as air bite/slow his food intake if he can not see it as normal.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I haven't found any eye drops yet, but will venture to a larger city tomorrow.
I've been soaking him 2-3 times a day and hand feeding him to help him out. He's regained 2 of the 4 grams he lost (he's only 54 on a good day) and seems a little brighter.
His eyes are still cloudy and only partly open.
I will switch his MVB bulb to just heat today.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Good idea to turn the UVB off for a bit. You could try getting terramycin online, that's where I had to get it. Amazon should have it in stock.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Try a daily babyfood soak, as well...pulverized carrots work great...he'll probably drink some and absorb some via his/her cloaca...can't hurt!

Also, what is the temp at his/her basking spot? Shoot for a range of 30-35C (90-95F) right under the basking lamp and about 21C (70F) at the cooler end, and a humidity level of 30-50%. This way, he/she can decide for him/herself where it's most comfortable.

Hope this is of help.

Gem1982

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Try a daily babyfood soak, as well...pulverized carrots work great...he'll probably drink some and absorb some via his/her cloaca...can't hurt!

Also, what is the temp at his/her basking spot? Shoot for a range of 30-35C (90-95F) right under the basking lamp and about 21C (70F) at the cooler end, and a humidity level of 30-50%. This way, he/she can decide for him/herself where it's most comfortable.

Hope this is of help.

Hi, is the enclosure too dry?? This was the case with mine so I sprayed / dampened it and bathed Peggy daily gently cleaning her eyes with warm wet cotton buds which she loved!! Within a few days she was fine! Hope this helps x

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
After no luck with finding Terramycin I am resorting to online.
Is there a particular concentration I should be looking for? eBay seems to have lots that are labeled for cats and dogs. Is this the right stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.