Identification Manouria emys / phayrei

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That shape looks emys emys to me from the back, but phayrei from the front. A mystery indeed.

johndesiles

5 Year Member
C est Impressionnant , j ai des Manouria emys emys que je reproduit et celle la n a absolument rien a voir avec elle
La couleur , l apparence plus costaud , la forme de la carapace et même la suture pectorale . je suis dubitatif
Merci Yvonne pour ton avis

(Google translation: C is Awesome, I have Manouria emys emys I reproduced and that did absolutely nothing to do with it
Color, beefier appearance, the shape of the carapace and even pectoral suture. I'm skeptical
Yvonne thank you for your opinion)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yvonne G said:
I didn't answer for a while trying to give others a chance at it. I still think it is either emys emys, or intergrade between the two. In my opinion, it is NOT phayrei.

Yvonne, you are right, the others are wrong, case closed. No further opinions needed.

Did I say you are 'Right Yvonne'. You are correct.

phayrei have a junction of the pectoral scutes that is long.

See http://www.tortoise.org/archives/manouria.html for images and description.

Of course these two are subspecies, so integration of them are not really hybrids. Just less discrete subspecies based on gross external morphology. It's a very blurry thing, you know?

johndesiles

5 Year Member
J ai une phayrei , qui est exatement de la meme couleure , la meme forme de carapace , l aspect costaud c est pour sa que je doute :)
et qui me provient du meme lot

J have a phayrei, which is exatement of the same couleure, the same shape of shell, l sturdy aspect c is for his(her,its) that I doubt:) and which(who) results me from the same prize(lot)

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Since the topic suggest , I will post something related as well .

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386651283.440759.jpg

So mine a M.e.e or M.e.p or M.e.? ( intergrade )

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

johndesiles

5 Year Member
The photo which you show is exactly as the plastron of my tortoise!!
What sort(species) involves he(it)??
Thank you emystiong of your help(assistant)

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
johndesiles said:

Getting excited , let's wait for a few more views before I input more .

Cheers

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
emystiong said:
johndesiles said:

Getting excited , let's wait for a few more views before I input more .

Cheers
Very interesting indeed. I would guess yours, emystiong, is an interegrade of the two.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Sorry to disappoint - that girl is a local WC back in 2006 or 2007 ( local as in borneo island ) no known Mep range nearby . So chances of intergrade is nil , maybe just a genetic or diet or some other factor In between !

But she is the only 1 that has it ( out of the so many I came across or own ) and I can say not genetic because none of her progeny has it .

Cheers

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386734173.837192.jpg

She is on the left . Looks any different on the carapace , face and overall ?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

johndesiles

5 Year Member
It is strange yours has the color of an emys emys and mine has everything of a phayrei! Nevertheless they have the same plastron!

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
There are many variations of the pectoral scutes in both ssp. After seeing hundreds and even growing them up "just to see". If they touch in one spot on the midline or in two places, it doesn't mean anything, its phayrei. They can almost touch or touch on one side, still phayrei. The pectoral scute version of telling them apart is not 100% accurate. M.emys emys normally has a greenish color, BUT not always. If the tortoise is an adult,phayrei has a much more pronounced upper beak. M.e.e are close to even.* (taxon changes for Manouria emys. in press) Again this is for adults and there are variations. Of the two phayrei obtains a much larger adult size....but, a small male phayrei and a big female emys emys could be the same adult size! The two subspecies have an over lapping range in Thailand and Burma (newly discovered* McKascle per. comm. 2014) There is not a named midland subspecies but I suspect one. In captive collections in the USA there are no phayrei represented from their northern range north of Burma. No Manouria have been exported out of India since before 1974. They were not smuggled out of India like Star and other tortoises for the Pet trade. There was simply no market for them. So very few people in the USA bred them only a few "intergrades" reported. We know of Yvonne's and the USA/AZA Stud book reports "hybrids" (their word") intergrades in the 90's. (a Manouria Hybred would M.e. X M. impressa) I don't think many people at all ever bred them intentionally but as we can tell by the discussion we are having there has always been some confusion about them. A Hybrid/intergrade would be my last desperate guess if there was some question about it. Now if this isn't confusing enough their common name is really a mess. Phayrei babies are born a light walnut brown then turn a slate black in about a year, while emys emys are born a very light power gray and turn Brown/greenish tint. in weeks to months. Once again there is a lot of variation in color/shades but that's the way it is here 98% of the time with many breeders of both ssp. One more little diddy M.e.e have a lot of white toes and white splotches of white skin under their neck and inside leg sockets. I'm working on a paper with David Lee on the Manouria Taxonomy. I am getting some good information from Lonnie Mc Kascle in Burma with the TSA and hoping to get some blood work from the field confirming this subject. Thanks Vic

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Vic: If no one has ever said it, let me say it, "I'm so very glad to have you as a member here on the Forum!!!" Thank you for your insight.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Sorry to disappoint - that girl is a local WC back in 2006 or 2007 ( local as in borneo island ) no known Mep range nearby . So chances of intergrade is nil , maybe just a genetic or diet or some other factor In between !

But she is the only 1 that has it ( out of the so many I came across or own ) and I can say not genetic because none of her progeny has it .

Cheers
Did you get them in a market place or near a market but loose in nature. emysbreeder

johndesiles

5 Year Member
Hello emysbreeder
Thank you very much for your message, you thus think that my mysterious manouria is good Phayrei c is good ca?
This you want I can give you complementary(additional) photos
Thank you has you, you are me of a big help

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very educational read. Thank you all.

johndesiles

5 Year Member
Hello
I am French, and in spite of the translator it n is not evident to understand(include) for me.
The translation of emysbreeders indeed says that my manouria is indeed a phayrei c is that?
Thank you for otre understanding help and
Jonathan