Ideas needed for turning sissys house into a 2 story house

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you EVERYONE for all the wounderful advice!! now i feel more comfortable about using the plastic tub! yea!! and i like the idea of taping the paper on the one end of the plastic tub. i love the pictures you sent to grace, and the aluma foil idea is great too...but I dont think i'd use the alumionn foil right at first since the plugs wont reach that far She will have 2 cold sides at first but she spends so muh time in her dark unheated side beingable to move around more might get her excersising more, and the plastic side would be lighted from the house at least. And in the middle would be the really heated and uvb part for her. were feeding her greens from the store right now... lettece spinich and the like that are on the list from here. Come summer she'll have the grass and dandlions from outside and i'll be planting the plants that she can eat out there and start some in pots so she will have more of a varity come next winter.
Sissy is going to have a lovely life with you and Spike - you are taking so much trouble to get everything perfect for her - she can't thank you herself, but I'm sure you will be able to sense then she is happy.
By the way you mentioned you are hoping to get married fairly soon - when Richard and I got round to getting married, we didn't tell anyone, but we did have Zola as Best Tortoise, instead of having a Best Man. Maybe Sissy could be a bridesmaid ?
Angie
IMGP7130.jpg

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Yes clear plastic is fine. You can just cover it if she has a problem with it.
Also the plastic wont melt unless you have heat sitting on it. If you place tin foil any place where a light may need to sit on the plastic to go thru a hole you have cut the rim the hole with tin foil and the tin foil will keep plastic from melting.
I agree with @wellington on this one, as it is something major I left out on accident. Yes. The tub won't melt, it only will if the heat is sitting right on top, but I was unaware of you plans. Best of luck!!

Dragon

michagin
Yes clear plastic is fine. You can just cover it if she has a problem with it.
Also the plastic wont melt unless you have heat sitting on it. If you place tin foil any place where a light may need to sit on the plastic to go thru a hole you have cut the rim the hole with tin foil and the tin foil will keep plastic from melting.
new update....spike has been putting his brain to work and hes sloved another problem. after i explined to him my idea he checked out the table and decided it s a little top heavy now so we will be getting a sturder table to put her house on...that will fit with our plans and then we are going to rearrange the livingroom a bit to make room....just a matter of turning the computer table around and our chairs down some and her house will be between my chair and the wall...it will take a bit before we can do this as we have to find a table we can afford and is close enough for us to go get.... if i knew WHEN he was going to do all this id call my daughter and have her and her husband come out and help....he wont ask for help...he can still do it himself but boy does he ace for a few days afterwards...

zolasmum

5 Year Member
new update....spike has been putting his brain to work and hes sloved another problem. after i explined to him my idea he checked out the table and decided it s a little top heavy now so we will be getting a sturder table to put her house on...that will fit with our plans and then we are going to rearrange the livingroom a bit to make room....just a matter of turning the computer table around and our chairs down some and her house will be between my chair and the wall...it will take a bit before we can do this as we have to find a table we can afford and is close enough for us to go get.... if i knew WHEN he was going to do all this id call my daughter and have her and her husband come out and help....he wont ask for help...he can still do it himself but boy does he ace for a few days afterwards...
Congratulations to both of you for working out such a good solution to your problem - I'm sure there will be other tortoise people who will find this very helpful too !
Angie

Dragon

michagin
Congratulations to both of you for working out such a good solution to your problem - I'm sure there will be other tortoise people who will find this very helpful too !
Angie
Well we do try to work together to slove our problems....inbetween a few mumbling and grumbling here and there lol sissy will have to wait for her bigger home until we can find a sturder table but shes lasted this long and hopefuly she will be much happer when we finally get everything worked out and if it helps others figure things out even better. it would be so much easer for everyone and our torts if we could find the proper information when we first decide to get a tort and the information we find when we do searches to learn about them was correct. we dont usuly think to look for a tort forum until after we get them and things arent going like they should

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Well we do try to work together to slove our problems....inbetween a few mumbling and grumbling here and there lol sissy will have to wait for her bigger home until we can find a sturder table but shes lasted this long and hopefuly she will be much happer when we finally get everything worked out and if it helps others figure things out even better. it would be so much easer for everyone and our torts if we could find the proper information when we first decide to get a tort and the information we find when we do searches to learn about them was correct. we dont usuly think to look for a tort forum until after we get them and things arent going like they should
When we got Zola, this forum didn't exist, and there were very few places we could find things out. We got to know a lady in a town some distance from us, who had a tortoise sanctuary with about 400 assorted tortoises. We used to go there quite a lot, and she was very helpful,but not an expert - Also the guy we bought Zola from had several tortoises himself - they were all old ones, though, which people had given him when they couldn't cope.It was great to find this forum, though it took years before I actually dared join in at all.We always mention the forum when we meet people who are interested, and try to spread the word.
How is the leprechaun hat going, by the way ?
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I had the same problem with my Tortoise and my house rabbit. I got my Tortoise in 2007 and was alone until 2018. I happened to find TFO one night by accident and I've never left. I had been having nightmares about my tortoise almost every night because of not having experienced people to discuss things with. A person has to be able to know what they're doing right and wrong to be able to make the right decisions for their animals. TFO has a lot of great people from all kinds of different climates, backgrounds, etc and how they're dealing with the problems in their climate and such for Tortoise keeping. And then there's the social part of this site also and I've really grown to love it very much.

Dragon

michagin
When we got Zola, this forum didn't exist, and there were very few places we could find things out. We got to know a lady in a town some distance from us, who had a tortoise sanctuary with about 400 assorted tortoises. We used to go there quite a lot, and she was very helpful,but not an expert - Also the guy we bought Zola from had several tortoises himself - they were all old ones, though, which people had given him when they couldn't cope.It was great to find this forum, though it took years before I actually dared join in at all.We always mention the forum when we meet people who are interested, and try to spread the word.
How is the leprechaun hat going, by the way ?
Angie
The hat is all done , i just have to add the button so I can put it on her and take a picture. And spike made a new bigger table and he told me he is going to build her a brand new bigger house! We re not going to be using the plastic tub after all....it will take a couple of days but im sure sissy can handle the wait. Im sure she will be much happyer when we get the new house done

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The hat is all done , i just have to add the button so I can put it on her and take a picture. And spike made a new bigger table and he told me he is going to build her a brand new bigger house! We re not going to be using the plastic tub after all....it will take a couple of days but im sure sissy can handle the wait. Im sure she will be much happyer when we get the new house done
Don't little torts have a way of worming their way into your heart 😁😜 looks like spike is getting as attached as you 🐢😊 and in the meantime sissy has the time for just being a little Russian 🤗

Dragon

michagin
Don't little torts have a way of worming their way into your heart 😁😜 looks like spike is getting as attached as you 🐢😊 and in the meantime sissy has the time for just being a little Russian 🤗
lol we have a mini zoo here according to spike. I had to promise him this would be my last addition to our family if he let me get a tort. lol he was quite upset and annoyed that all the information we worked so hard to get was wrong....and that the house he so carefuly built was too small...but as much as he complains about the animals he spoils them more then i do. lol Every morning the dogs and cat get a spical midmorning treat of lunch meat or hotdogs or something simular and then he gets the cat small bits of wet catfood for her midmorning treat. lol He got an extra large cage for the bird since we are to old to chase a bird around the house trying to catch him and put him back in his cage. So he has an extra big cage, he still cant fly but its better then nothing....and now the whole new box for sissy. He said hes not going to start it right away...hes done a lot of building since dec....the salt box and toy box for my daughter...sissys first box and then last week a new closit. hes almost 75 and hes RETIRED darn it!! and tired. I told him thats fine no rush...i will not however be surprised if he starts building it tomarrow...and if not and it takes a couple of days no harm done. I just wish he would let me call the kids to come down and help when we have to rearrange the livingroom some. Ill be 64 on the 20th but i am of no real use or help to him anymore. I do try to help him move the furnture but i just dont have the upper body strength to be of any real help....and he hates it when i start weezing....i dont know if he'll ever get used to the fact that this is how i breath now and i'll be ok hes such a sweetheart.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
lol we have a mini zoo here according to spike. I had to promise him this would be my last addition to our family if he let me get a tort. lol he was quite upset and annoyed that all the information we worked so hard to get was wrong....and that the house he so carefuly built was too small...but as much as he complains about the animals he spoils them more then i do. lol Every morning the dogs and cat get a spical midmorning treat of lunch meat or hotdogs or something simular and then he gets the cat small bits of wet catfood for her midmorning treat. lol He got an extra large cage for the bird since we are to old to chase a bird around the house trying to catch him and put him back in his cage. So he has an extra big cage, he still cant fly but its better then nothing....and now the whole new box for sissy. He said hes not going to start it right away...hes done a lot of building since dec....the salt box and toy box for my daughter...sissys first box and then last week a new closit. hes almost 75 and hes RETIRED darn it!! and tired. I told him thats fine no rush...i will not however be surprised if he starts building it tomarrow...and if not and it takes a couple of days no harm done. I just wish he would let me call the kids to come down and help when we have to rearrange the livingroom some. Ill be 64 on the 20th but i am of no real use or help to him anymore. I do try to help him move the furnture but i just dont have the upper body strength to be of any real help....and he hates it when i start weezing....i dont know if he'll ever get used to the fact that this is how i breath now and i'll be ok hes such a sweetheart.
Spike is obviously a real treasure, and must care about you a great deal. It is great that he has the skills to make all these things for you and the animals, and I think he feels rather helpless about your health conditions, and this is his way of doing what he can.You are fortunate.
Angie

Dragon

michagin
yes he is most defently a sweetheart! and he spoils me rotten! hes out in the wood shop now working on sissys new home. hes good at building things...i do scroll saw, fret work layered work shelves and such and of course the wood carving.... Been looking at my new tools this morning and getting everything set up to start carving after i took care of the animals and did the dishes lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
yes he is most defently a sweetheart! and he spoils me rotten! hes out in the wood shop now working on sissys new home. hes good at building things...i do scroll saw, fret work layered work shelves and such and of course the wood carving.... Been looking at my new tools this morning and getting everything set up to start carving after i took care of the animals and did the dishes lol
It would be lovely to see some of the things you are making, or have made. Please send some photos.
Angie

Dragon

michagin
It would be lovely to see some of the things you are making, or have made. Please send some photos.
Angie
i'll see what i can find lol I know i have a jump drive with finished projects on it someplace. and i still have to get a button for sissys shell cover.... spikes done a great job on sissys new home so far....the box is put together he just has to cut out the holes and put the screen in then make the top lids. might be another day or two before we can move her in but im sure she will be much happer when its all finished and all set up....and if everything works out well in the rearranging her house will be right next to my chair.... I know spock my red eared slider loved it when he was next to me..... I hated giving him up but the aquarem was just getting to hard to empty and clean.....Sissys house should be easer to clean.... I can put gloves on and scoop out the bedding into a bag or something sit on my bar stool at the laundary room sink to wash it then set it aside to dry. it might take a couple of months before she has enough substructure to competely dig under and cover her self with but everything in time. I can get a couple of bags of substructer each month until i have enough for her house and extra to put in while the old is drying after being washed. im sure she'll be much liverly after she has a bigger house. were not making a dark side on this as she has her cave to go into and that will give her even more room to roam.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i'll see what i can find lol I know i have a jump drive with finished projects on it someplace. and i still have to get a button for sissys shell cover.... spikes done a great job on sissys new home so far....the box is put together he just has to cut out the holes and put the screen in then make the top lids. might be another day or two before we can move her in but im sure she will be much happer when its all finished and all set up....and if everything works out well in the rearranging her house will be right next to my chair.... I know spock my red eared slider loved it when he was next to me..... I hated giving him up but the aquarem was just getting to hard to empty and clean.....Sissys house should be easer to clean.... I can put gloves on and scoop out the bedding into a bag or something sit on my bar stool at the laundary room sink to wash it then set it aside to dry. it might take a couple of months before she has enough substructure to competely dig under and cover her self with but everything in time. I can get a couple of bags of substructer each month until i have enough for her house and extra to put in while the old is drying after being washed. im sure she'll be much liverly after she has a bigger house. were not making a dark side on this as she has her cave to go into and that will give her even more room to roam.
You really don't have to do all that with a little Russian. Isn't that what Sissy is. Just pick up the poo and food, that kinda stuff. I don't change the substrate often or even wash it. They aren't all that hard to take care of once you have them happily set up.🤗

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You really don't have to do all that with a little Russian. Isn't that what Sissy is. Just pick up the poo and food, that kinda stuff. I don't change the substrate often or even wash it. They aren't all that hard to take care of once you have them happily set up.🤗
It will be lovely to have Sissy near you in her new home - little Zola always likes to be close to us, whatever is going on - his favourite thing at the moment is sitting by the fire with me - I put him by my shoulder and he puts his head on my face,and I just sit and stroke him. Sometimes while I watch the fire, he goes to sleep like that , and other times he gets bored after a while, and wants to get back to his food !
Anyway, congratulations on the progress with Sissy's new improved home.
Angie x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got to take Sapphire outside today. In the sun it was 82°f so I figured the sunshine would be good for him. He got a good 3 hours of direct sunlight. The only problem I'll have now is he'll be begging every day to go outside. I hate to look into those little begging puppy tortoise eyes and just say no. It's too cold today.🥶🥶

Dragon

michagin
well hi everybody!! Today was filled with rearranging the livingroom to make room for sissys bigger house ( its not done yet but when it is we can get it all set up and sissy in it right away.) We dont rearrange the livingroom very often anymore, and when we do we try to move as few things a possable because it takes us for ever to do! lol but i think i like this new set up. I was really happy to hear we dont need to go through all the cleaning up of her bedding like i read, it will make taking care of her even easer then we thought! and thats a good thing since were not going to get any younger and my health isnt going to get any better!! lol The way we have things arranged now sissys house is next to the front livingroo windo then my chair the end table and spikes chair. We have heavy drapes on our windows because when the migrines were really bad we kept the house dark. Spikes chair would be a bit away from mine so he could have a light on and the windows are fairly new so not much of a draft anyway. come next winter we'll move her to an inside wall anyway though) but with sumer she will get some sunlight as well as her lamps. and yes it will be nice to have her next to my chair. when i had my little redeared slidder we him/her aquraum next to my chair as well and spock ( turtles name) would often swim over to where i was closest to him and sit and look at me... and hed often follow my finger as i moved it across the glass. sigh I really really hated giving him up....but you do whats best for your children (pets) when you love them. And he did go to a good home...in the summer and lives in the school in the winter with more attention then any one or two people could give. My brother called me this afternoon and we got talking and he was surprised that i had already gotten my new tortus.... eveadently after i got married he had a pet turtle of his own. I didnt know that, so if anything happens to me he would love to have sissy. Im so gald as my grandson didnt seem all that interested in sissy when he was here. also my little brother only lives a few blocks from me so after he retires he can come over and while we visit he can interact with sissy so she'll be fimular with him already. So far sissy stays in her house except when shes soaking. With 2 dogs and a cat it just seems safer that way. Iv tried to think of ways we can interact....come summer it will be a little easer i think to find time to take her out and maybe let her walk around a bit when the dogs are outside and the cats locked in either the bedroom or woodshop. ( she has a small avary in the windo of the woodshop so she can sit outside. its aactualy a small dog crate we hung out one of the woodshop windows and put a plastic mat on. its only big enough for her to sit or lie on but its better then nothing. lol ) but from my reading im not sure where would be the best place to her roam in the house. I read that the rug isnt good because she might try to eat it and the regular kitchen type floor is nt good either as they have a hard time walking on it. not sure spike would like her roaming about the house either. I do have a small pet pen ( a circler gate like a baby gate except it stands alone in a circle. after i had to give up spock spike let me have a bunny, unfrountly I had to give her up to as it seems rabbit dander is very bad for anyone with lung desies. I wound up in the ER 5 times after we got her.... spike and my sister made me give her to a friend of my sisters...i had bought the round pet play yard gate for her...oh well... well this is long so best get it sent off lol

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Plastic can be good for a lot of things, like storage, food, and sometimes even fish... but when it comes to tortoises, I would not advise it. Tortoises, as you know, need heat and UVB lighting all day to keep them well and happy. But... plastic and heat do not mix, my concern with this is that you would have yourself a melted tortoise encloure!! Another thing about plastic is that many times big tubs like that are clear. Torts do not generally get the concept of glass/plastic, and it can stress them out, by simply not being able to GET OUT! Another solution to this is something similar to what you have, having a small portion of the enclosure clear, and the others solid so that it gives more security with still being about to see the amazing animal!
Here is my little "tortoise nook" as I like to call it, it is made of plywood and all reptile safe paint and stain. It has ventilation on the hidden side making it look more aesthetic, and is all wired with light switches for easy access of turning lights off and on, and equip with front (only) Plexy glass sliding doors. I would like to put out there that there are two tortoises that live in here, but they are NOT connected, there is both a top and a bottom compartment each 5 x 5 foot enclosures. (we are adding a third level this summer for my Russian!)
See these type of chamber enclosures are indeed cool and effective, the only worry I would have is what if the lights inside overheated something or it caught on fire somehow from the lights being inside and so close to things. You never know if the light falls or becomes ineffective