Ideas for moving a 125 lb sulcata

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those don't work for large heavy tortoises. I've tried. The one I linked works for tortoises up to around 250 pounds.
Really, I'm surprised. The Rubbermaid stuff I have had, boxes, wheel barrow, I think a shed at one time, were all disappointing for being a Rubbermaid which I always thought to be a good product. I never had a gorilla product but I thought I have seen a member list it as one they use, but I'm not 100% on that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really, I'm surprised. The Rubbermaid stuff I have had, boxes, wheel barrow, I think a shed at one time, were all disappointing for being a Rubbermaid which I always thought to be a good product. I never had a gorilla product but I thought I have seen a member list it as one they use, but I'm not 100% on that.
Some other carts are just too flimsy to handle 100+ pound, strong, hard shelled, moving animals. Other were sturdy enough, but getting a reluctant 100+ pound animal into them was exceedingly difficult, and the smaller wheels made traversing the rough terrain in a large tortoise pen difficult.

The cart I listed was introduced to me by a mentor who has been moving large tortoises for many decades. It tips down and makes it easy to shimmy, shove, and slide a giant tortoise into it. The position of the wheels and handle give a person of even moderate strength the leverage to tip the heavy tortoise up and into the bucket. The large sturdy wheels handle the rocks, gopher mounds, weeds, squirrel burrows and other obstacles with aplomb. Upon arrival at the night box entrance, a gentle tip down slides the tortoise right into its house.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry to seem stupid, stubborn and ridiculous, but I still think it would be possible to make a warm shelter that is portable and certainly does not weigh 100 pounds! It would fit over the tortoise like a tent all around him and supported by a center frame and little wheels at the four corners that rest on the ground. It is sturdy plastic with a see-through front so he can see out. It's light, warm and waterproof. Ok. Not gonna keep pushing it. Someone is going to try it and make a bunch of money 🤑.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry to seem stupid, stubborn and ridiculous, but I still think it would be possible to make a warm shelter that is portable and certainly does not weigh 100 pounds! It would fit over the tortoise like a tent all around him and supported by a center frame and little wheels at the four corners that rest on the ground. It is sturdy plastic with a see-through front so he can see out. It's light, warm and waterproof. Ok. Not gonna keep pushing it. Someone is going to try it and make a bunch of money 🤑.
Tammy. You forgot to say that the center frame fits snugly onto the tortoise shell with a strap around like a girth on a saddle. As the tortoise moves, so does the tent shelter so he doesn't bump into it. It's called a Torti-Tent.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok. Just one last thing: warmth is provided by a pre-charged battery operated CHE that is set into a meshed cage at the top of the tent on the inside. A zipped flap can open or close to put in place or remove the "baby warmer". It can work. Different sizes depending on how large the tortoise is.

jerankin

California
The position of the wheels and handle give a person of even moderate strength the leverage to tip the heavy tortoise up and into the bucket. The large sturdy wheels handle the rocks, gopher mounds, weeds, squirrel burrows and other obstacles with aplomb. Upon arrival at the night box entrance, a gentle tip down slides the tortoise right into its house.
It's like you've seen my yard! I'm going to try to get one this week. I blocked off the spot he's been going to sleep in today and this evening he spent 20 minutes trying to bash his way in before I picked him up and carried him home again.

I have some left over foam board from the night house build. Maybe that's the basis for the 'Tammy-Torti-Tent'. Can confirm that it would be lighter than Rambo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. Just one last thing: warmth is provided by a pre-charged battery operated CHE that is set into a meshed cage at the top of the tent on the inside. A zipped flap can open or close to put in place or remove the "baby warmer". It can work. Different sizes depending on how large the tortoise is.
Those of us that have housed giant tortoises can all tell that you haven't housed giant tortoises. :) But we still love you.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Those of us that have housed giant tortoises can all tell that you haven't housed giant tortoises. :) But we still love you.
Lol! Ok thanks Tom. But it was fun while it lasted...!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
@Tom is right, the Rubbermaid cart is best way to manually move a large tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Did I smash your dream to bits, just like a giant tortoise would do with your moveable heated shelter?
Just that one. I have others. Like the one about owning a Burmese Star Tortoise. Ahem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just that one. I have others. Like the one about owning a Burmese Star Tortoise. Ahem.
Check into the shipping legalities. I'll send you some if we can work out how to do it legally.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Some other carts are just too flimsy to handle 100+ pound, strong, hard shelled, moving animals. Other were sturdy enough, but getting a reluctant 100+ pound animal into them was exceedingly difficult, and the smaller wheels made traversing the rough terrain in a large tortoise pen difficult.

The cart I listed was introduced to me by a mentor who has been moving large tortoises for many decades. It tips down and makes it easy to shimmy, shove, and slide a giant tortoise into it. The position of the wheels and handle give a person of even moderate strength the leverage to tip the heavy tortoise up and into the bucket. The large sturdy wheels handle the rocks, gopher mounds, weeds, squirrel burrows and other obstacles with aplomb. Upon arrival at the night box entrance, a gentle tip down slides the tortoise right into its house.
I know some disagree with Kamp Kenan animal care but the use of the Rubbermaid cart is shown in this video
Smaller tort at 8:30 and a big one at 11:00.

I got the cart shortly after watching this because I'm old and weak. Also had severe hip arthritis at the time before replacements. Anyway, I seldom have to use it but can usually lure Bomber onto the lip of the cart with a Hibiscus then get it tilted up as shown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know some disagree with Kamp Kenan animal care but the use of the Rubbermaid cart is shown in this video...

I got the cart shortly after watching this because I'm old and weak. Also had severe hip arthritis at the time before replacements. Anyway, I seldom have to use it but can usually lure Bomber onto the lip of the cart with a Hibiscus then get it tilted up as shown.
That's a good demonstration of the cart use, but he is just so full of wrong info: "These are a dry species. They never see a lot of moisture. Any kind of dampness can really hurt them." Uhhh Kenan... What do they do during the monsoon season in the wild when it rains heavily for 3-4 months every year? You know, when the babies are hatching...

He means well, but it doesn't help tortoises when people give blatantly wrong info that is the opposite of the truth.