Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleinertson

5 Year Member
I am very confuse. Since the beginning of the cold S. CA. weather this year, my Moshi (Sulcata) has hibernated. No one told him he wasn't supposed to. He has an extra large dog house and a whole side yard, but he has refused to exit his house. Finally, I soaked him inside and he ate a bit, but when we put him in the side yard, he just books for his house. Oh, his house is heated and he also has a sun lamp on him part time. Would you be worried?[/size][/font]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you checked the temps too make sure they are warm enough? Has it been too cold for him to come out of his house? That's all I got. I don't live in CA and own a leopard. That's just guesses I could think of. Someone should be on soon that might have some idea of why.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 2 larger sulcatas that are outside and the only days they might not come out are days when the barometric pressure is very low,the temps don't seem to make a difference to either of them, they come out when the temps are in the 20's to eat and drink, sometimes longer than I think they should, but they know when to go back in their houses to warm up. They each have their own enclosure areas and separate house so it's not a matter of one following the other, but if one comes out the other one will be out at some time. My guess is maybe the house is not warm enough, or the barometric is low.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I would be worried. My 3 year old sulcata comes out of his heated house every day to eat. Well, almost every day. If it is cool, that's below 65F and cloudy, he will eat and return to his house. If the weather is warmer he will roam for hours. I am not sure why your sulcata is not active, my first thought is that he is too cold. I would place a thermometer in his house and accutately measure the temperature in several places. If it is not at least 80F for him then you should probably add some heat. It may take a few days of being kept at 80F for him to get active.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
there are days mine dont come out.. somedays they come out, bask and go back in, sometimes they eat.. and they have heat.. I used to worry.. but not anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.