idea-humid area in a dry substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi everyone! I thought I'd share what I came up with for my little guy in case anyone wanted to copy the idea. He has aspen as his main substrate, and I like to expose him to different surfaces and have things for him to explore. I bought a package of coconut husk chips (bigger chunks than the coir) to try out. I ended up hydrating them, and placing them in a tupperware sunk into the substrate.

I keep them moist by either pouring water, or putting the lid back on the tupperware and shaking it up. There is a lip cut out in the side so the little guy can enter the container from either the ramp, or by the built-up substrate at the sides, so this also incorporates some hill climbing!

Here's some pictures showing the set-up. Ideally I'd want a non-clear container because if it's not full enough he tries to exit it through the walls, lol. He seems to enjoy playing around in it, or just walking through. It also adds a humid area to his enclosure, as he doesn't like hides so I don't bother with the upkeep of a humid hide anymore for him.

Side note: he started self-soaking/drinking with his new dish. I've spotted him in there or found evidence almost daily. Never thought he did this with the old ones (which he couldn't access easily).

The container showing the cutout
okaa8l.jpg

Container sunk into the substrate
15cog42.jpg

The tort can either access walking across from above
23icoz9.jpg

Or, climb the ramp from the bottom
25ge1dv.jpg

The chunks are probably a little deep for him to tunnel in at his size, but nevertheless it was $4 well spent (and I used less than half the package).

Has anyone ever found non-clear tupperware? I have a few project ideas but haven't seen any since xmas when they had semi-opaque green sparkly ones. Looked at: Target, grocery stores, the Container Store, Home Depot

Karyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boothywn, Pennsylvania
What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm always on the lookout for things to make my torts life more interesting!

Karyn

Status
Not open for further replies.