my tortoise always wants to escape....

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
so, do you think this is enough of an upgrade? like, is it big enough? the blue tape is how big the bookcase is, its 71 inch length, 24 inch width, and 11 inch depth

Attachments

• 136.JPG
    136.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
hmmm, would they rip through a plastic tarp? i wonder if a plastic tarp is more durable then a shower curtain
I dont know. I didn't wan the experience of having plastic rip agian, so I switched. I think a trap WOULD be more durable :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I use lattice for a roof. Sun and shade both and the birds can't get in. I suggest your tortoise wants to be outside. Can't you set him up so that he can spend the days outside?

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
I use lattice for a roof. Sun and shade both and the birds can't get in. I suggest your tortoise wants to be outside. Can't you set him up so that he can spend the days outside?
Lattice might work! Seems like the easiest thing. He loves the outdoors! In Minnesota it gets hot in the summer (80 to 100 degrees) but then I gets too cold for him all the other seasons. Since the summer is ending in a few weeks, it's not worth making an outdoor enclosure. Next summer I'm gonna make an outdoor enclose using cinder blocks, probably lattice, and something in the ground to keep him from escaping. I'll put it in our veggetable garden and the size will be 3.5 feet by 6.5 feet, and I can increase the size if needed. For the time being, I have to watch him outside.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I was worried about my russian digging out too, when I built him his outdoor space this summer, but he hasn't even tried dug anywhere is the enclosure :p I guess I was very overcautious, but I didn't he wouldn't dig out!

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
My Russian spends his whole life trying to escape,then he'll try to escape from the place he escaped to ,and so on

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Normally they try to escape because they feel trapped. As in confined in a small space. Try upgrading his enclosure. Make it bigger! The bigger the better.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Normally they try to escape because they feel trapped. As in confined in a small space. Try upgrading his enclosure. Make it bigger! The bigger the better.
Yeah I found a nice bookshelf on eBay for 40 bucks, it's 2 feet by 6 feet and 11 inches deep. Hopefully that'll be big enough..... if you look at the top of the page I layed out blue tape (representing the size of the new enclosure) around his enclosure to show the size difference

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Yeah I found a nice bookshelf on eBay for 40 bucks, it's 2 feet by 6 feet and 11 inches deep. Hopefully that'll be big enough..... if you look at the top of the page I layed out blue tape (representing the size of the new enclosure) around his enclosure to show the size difference
Yes that will help a lot. That enclosure is quite small. Once you change it he should self down.