ID ing northerns.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Just saw this thread.
A good book showing some regional variations in red-foot tortoises is Peter Pritchard's Turtles of Venezuela. It's easily available on Amazon for around $50.00.
There are flaws though...because of some misinformation Peter was given regarding the origin of the red-headed or 'cherry -head' animals, he identifies Paraguay and Argentina as their native lands.
Another good book is Holger and Vetter's South American Tortoises by Chimera Press.
It too should be easy to obtain from Amazon
Thanks. Got the Chimera Press book. Very very good read, and some good references to USA breeders. :D

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just saw this thread.
A good book showing some regional variations in red-foot tortoises is Peter Pritchard's Turtles of Venezuela. It's easily available on Amazon for around $50.00.
There are flaws though...because of some misinformation Peter was given regarding the origin of the red-headed or 'cherry -head' animals, he identifies Paraguay and Argentina as their native lands.
Another good book is Holger and Vetter's South American Tortoises by Chimera Press.
It too should be easy to obtain from Amazon
Can you clear one thing up for me please Carl.
Is the Paraguayan cherryhead a myth?
I read about how they were transporting the cherries to Paraguay out of Brazil so they could export out of South America.
If this is the case I assuming someone released the cherries to the wild in Paraguay. Or am I way off the mark?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The original cherry-heads that came into Miami via Pet Farm (where Pritchard photographed the ones in his book and where he got his info) had been trucked from Brazil into Argentina-- not Paraguay. Apparently, the tortoises were regularly imported from Brazil to Argentina for their pet trade as red-foot tortoises are only in a tiny portion of Argentina, if at all...at least according to the museum records there and from those who have spent time in country looking for the animals.
That original shipment of cherry-heads amounted to some 2500 RF tortoises along with 2500 or more Chaco tortoises.

According to the guys who I knew at Pet Farm in those days, the company was in a jam since Brazil was closed off to the U.S. as far as animal exports were concerned. So they couldn't openly say the tortoises came from Brazil without risking them being confiscated and then getting a major fine as well. And since red-footed tortoises weren't really known from Argentina, they couldn't claim that country as the place of origin either without raising a lot of suspicion. So they became Paraguyan Cherry-Heads.
I was there a few times right after they arrived and my buddies let me pick through cattle troughs filled with the fresh imports...for $40.00 each. Like they say, I wish I knew then what I know now.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Calling a spade a spade, I think Terry was right too for calling you out. Just like I believe I am right for calling you out now. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Anyfoot and I have been emailing each other for awhile now.. is the ONLY reason I'm participating here,

THANK YOU ALLEGRA.. time they "all" need to be held accountable for their misleading and downright wrong/false info! And I am NOT referring to only "Hi-jacking"!!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Do northerns exist in Ecuador?
Anyfoot, I briefly checked some range maps and I'm pretty sure that carbonaria does not occur in Ecuador, nor Peru either.
In either case, they have not been exported from those countries for the pet trade. At least not any time recently.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Anyfoot, I briefly checked some range maps and I'm pretty sure that carbonaria does not occur in Ecuador, nor Peru either.
In either case, they have not been exported from those countries for the pet trade. At least not any time recently.
Thank you. I was reading the reds are more towards the eastern side of Colombia. If correct that would make sense.
I tried looking for some range maps, where did you find them? I only looked online though. Not in any books I have.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Turtles of Venezuela and the Holger Vetter have range maps.
Also, Google red-foot tortoise range maps.
Should get some good info that way.

Regarding Colombia, I think there may be at least two distinct and separate populations.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sorry for the bad shots, but I had one kid on each arm. Sorry I didn't take pics of the descriptions, but it identifies the different plastron a by area. Cherryhead and Bolivian are pretty striking and clearly different than those two.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453919842.716561.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453919853.897929.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453919864.097886.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice work Allegra.
Anyfoot, yes your book does need to get there ASAP.
Very good reference.
Except for the misinformation I mean.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Plate 40- Colombian
Plate 39D-Venezuelan
Plate 39F- Bolivian-note the full black carapace- Bolivian also next to 39F
Plate G-Bolivian, cherry and Venezuelan.

I have two northerns- Tallulah-Venezuelan and Lucky- Colombian. I'll try to take pics of their plastrons when it stops raining, maybe Friday or Saturday.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Both Guyana parents -

Guyana male / ??? locale female -

Same male / other ??? female -

All shown are Northerns at 3-4 years old.

"pure" Guyana..