ID Greens

huaban

Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, TX
Good morning all experts,

I would like to have you guys to ID this green that I bought from Asian market. I offered a little bit to my radiata, he likes it. Just trying to make sure its safe to feed.

One more question, I have pest control service every 3 months, the last time was done in March. I am planning to move my Aldabra to my back yard to enjoy southern Texas summer next year. So I may have to terminate that service from now on. Is there any safe ways we can expel and kill pests like termites, fire ants, and external parasites?

Thanks you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_7911.jpg
    IMG_7911.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7910.jpg
    IMG_7910.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what that is. Looks almost like a tender mulberry leaf.

Treat your house to keep termites at bay, if needed. Don't treat the whole world.

Treat the fire ants one mound at a time. I like to shovel the above ground portion into a bucket and get rid of them. Then sprinkle a bunch of Amdro ant granules there where the mound was/is. Block access to the area with a basket of some sort and let the ants take the bait underground. When all the bait is gone, you can remove the basket and the tortoise can have access to the area again. Treat all of your ant mounds and look past the edges of your property to keep them from coming back in. Push the perimeter back as far as you can, and keep after it constantly. With vigilance, you'll keep them at bay. I HATE those damn things.

External parasites? Like what? Fleas and ticks? Put the drops on the shoulders of your pets instead of poisoning the entire property. So many ways to do this safely now.

For mosquitos, build a bat house. I know a guy in FL with a large property that should be literally crawling with mosquitos. He built a large bat house and there are no mosquitos there. You can walk around in the jungle there in shorts and a t-shirt on a warm night and not ever get bitten. I had no idea the bats would be so effective. Plus the guano is great for planting and growing tortoise food.

huaban

Cypress, TX
I don't know what that is. Looks almost like a tender mulberry leaf.

Treat your house to keep termites at bay, if needed. Don't treat the whole world.

Treat the fire ants one mound at a time. I like to shovel the above ground portion into a bucket and get rid of them. Then sprinkle a bunch of Amdro ant granules there where the mound was/is. Block access to the area with a basket of some sort and let the ants take the bait underground. When all the bait is gone, you can remove the basket and the tortoise can have access to the area again. Treat all of your ant mounds and look past the edges of your property to keep them from coming back in. Push the perimeter back as far as you can, and keep after it constantly. With vigilance, you'll keep them at bay. I HATE those damn things.

External parasites? Like what? Fleas and ticks? Put the drops on the shoulders of your pets instead of poisoning the entire property. So many ways to do this safely now.

For mosquitos, build a bat house. I know a guy in FL with a large property that should be literally crawling with mosquitos. He built a large bat house and there are no mosquitos there. You can walk around in the jungle there in shorts and a t-shirt on a warm night and not ever get bitten. I had no idea the bats would be so effective. Plus the guano is great for planting and growing tortoise food.
Thank you so much Tom!