Buying a endanger tortoise in CA

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi im trying to acquire a radiata from a breeder in CA. I am also a CA resident. He does not own a shop but is asking me for a picture of my ID and picture of a bill of residency in order for me to buy a radiata. I forgot to ask if he has a CBW permit but he did say the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service comes to his home thats why he needs a picture. What do you think or know?

Last edited:

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
What he's asking you to provide proves to him that you are a resident of California. Then he can sell to you and a CBW permit doesn't matter.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Ok but he wants me to email it or to send it in a message instead of showing him in person.
That's fine. He just needs to see it to verify. If you're picking up the tortoise in person, I'm sure he'd wait to see the documentation then. But if he's shipping it to you, then he still needs to see it before he ships.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Who are you dealing with?

It is my understanding that there doesn't need to be any paperwork for one sold in state. Perhaps this person is being extra cautious, so that if he's ever questioned about the sale he/she can prove it was to a CA resident?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Who are you dealing with?

It is my understanding that there doesn't need to be any paperwork for one sold in state. Perhaps this person is being extra cautious, so that if he's ever questioned about the sale he/she can prove it was to a CA resident?
I believe that's what he's doing. When I've seen ads for radiated tortoises for sale in my own state, the sellers mention that there must be proof of state residency and requires providing a state ID, such as a driver's license.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
The seller is being cautious, and I don't blame them. You might be wildlife enforcement person entrapping them into an illegal sale. No, I'm not trying to be funny.

To be fair, you should ask for the same kind of documentation from them.
Maybe the seller is a wildlife enforcement person trying to entrap buyers

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
can you use a pen or something to cover your driver license number, your date of birth and street address.
the seller needs to see is your name and you have a CA ID.
The seller would need the address to ship anyway and if smart will make sure the buyer is of legal binding age. The license number is not really needed.