I would love your input on my enclosure

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
I was very lucky and found a Pet store quality brand new setup on Craigslist. A furniture store had won it at an auction and didnt know what they had.

It has two glass enclosed areas 2 ft by 4.5 feet. I am wanting to keep Baby leopards in there for the first 3 months. I have 5 in one right now with eggs set to hatch soon.

My question is about lighting and substrate. I have great temperatures and humidity going.

Is there a UVB light that I can put in the ceiling of each enclosure that will work for them that can be 2 ft away from the tortoise. I and my wife would prefer to not have another light hung in the middle of it.

I am hanging a CHE bulb on a thermotstat for each enclosure right now.

Extra Credit question:
Also I am using a mix right now of coco coir and orchid moss as a substrate. Is there anything else you'd suggest for Leopards that might be cleaner.

You can see the quality of the enclosure here: http://cascopet.com/us/reptiles/entry-level/ It is all glass and welded steel. Matched my houses interior trim also which makes my wife very happy.

IMG_20180116_165446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking enclosures. I don't think even the best bulbs can be that far away. If you get a uv meter, around 200 bucks, you would be able to test if the height you want the bulbs would actually work. The Arcadia bulbs would be your best ones to try.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
That's kind of what I thought. That's why I came here I thought one of you might have an amazing idea.

It really is a nice show piece s I am trying to figure out how to make it as nice inside while also being functional. Maybe I can mount a tube light and make it look like a little terrace with something around the fixture.

Nice looking enclosures. I don't think even the best bulbs can be that far away. If you get a uv meter, around 200 bucks, you would be able to test if the height you want the bulbs would actually work. The Arcadia bulbs would be your best ones to try.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use 100% orchid bark. For hatchlings I use coconut coir, I like it best but a lot of people don't like it because it's so messy. That's where orchid bark is a good choice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is you did a tube light and attached it to the back at the appropriate height and then you could hang plastic plants from it to disguise it. You could even attach it to the top, hang at appropriate height and still hang plastic plants from it to disguise.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
What is you did a tube light and attached it to the back at the appropriate height and then you could hang plastic plants from it to disguise it. You could even attach it to the top, hang at appropriate height and still hang plastic plants from it to disguise.
That's what I am thinking i'll be doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arcadia 12% HO bulbs in a reflector hood will give you very strong UV readings at 24" high. If the interior is 24", you'll lose 3-4" to substrate and another inch or two for the fixture, even if its mounted directly to the ceiling. This will put your bulb at around 18-20 inches away from the tortoise. This might actually be too much UV to run all day. At that height, I only run my 12% HO tubes for about 3 hours mid day to simulate the UV spike that comes mid day. If you want to run them full time every day, you might need to go to the ZooMed 10.0 HO tubes. Still good UV at that mounting height, but not as strong as the Arcadia. You can buy your Arcadia light here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. You can get the ZooMed stuff anywhere.

About the substrate. I don't use coco coir for this species because……. wait for it……. its too messy. I don't use any kind of moss because they tend to want to eat it, and it can cause an impaction. The best substrate for these guys is fine grade orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at local nurseries.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ha, never thought about losing a few inches of height just from the fixture make up, duh me. There ya go, it should work fine. Have to remember that.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Arcadia 12% HO bulbs in a reflector hood will give you very strong UV readings at 24" high. If the interior is 24", you'll lose 3-4" to substrate and another inch or two for the fixture, even if its mounted directly to the ceiling. This will put your bulb at around 18-20 inches away from the tortoise. This might actually be too much UV to run all day. At that height, I only run my 12% HO tubes for about 3 hours mid day to simulate the UV spike that comes mid day. If you want to run them full time every day, you might need to go to the ZooMed 10.0 HO tubes. Still good UV at that mounting height, but not as strong as the Arcadia. You can buy your Arcadia light here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. You can get the ZooMed stuff anywhere.

About the substrate. I don't use coco coir for this species because……. wait for it……. its too messy. I don't use any kind of moss because they tend to want to eat it, and it can cause an impaction. The best substrate for these guys is fine grade orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at local nurseries.

What do you use @Tom? I am there. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/arcadia/?sort=featured&page=1

I am guessing. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ar...-the-original-reptile-ho-t5-in-north-america/

Thank you for your help. I am buying 3 or 4 of these so I want to get it right. I may just buy the fixture with bulbs. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use different bulbs for different applications. For UV those 12% HO bulbs are great, but they are so strong that I only run them for about 3-4 hours mid day to simulate the UV spike that happens outside.

Chowanatohr

Washington State
They look pretty good, but like other users have said, watch the height of the bulbs. Also, tortoises don't really understand glass, and they can injure themselves walking into walls. Make sure to have an opaque border higher than the tortoise's eye level. I used cardboard with my last enclosure. Good luck!

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Glass has not been an issue with any of my tortoises. I have had hatchlings for about 7 years now. I know some long time keepers say no but maybe mine are just really smart. :)