I wish i had better matierials...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffiel the RT

5 Year Member
So I live in minnesota and the summer is only 3 months long. I try to get my Russian Tortoise outside when I have time, but the enclosure is just a wire fence (with small holes of course, so he cant escape) but I would like to treat him to a better home outside using easy materials, what are some good ideas?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First what is wrong with the current enclosure? It's wire fence, but depending on what type of wire and how you have fixed, there is nothing wrong with that.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My outdoor enclosure walls are 2x12s, mounted on 4x4 timbers as a sort of foundation. Painted green to match my the foundation of my house. It was easily built.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I'm pretty sure your tortoise doesn't care what its enclosure looks like! As long as there is ample room and it is secure from predators, you're good to go!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also stack up cinderblocks or bricks in a rectangular shape. Its always best to use the house or the fence for one side, then you don't have to have too many blocks.

Some of my pens are made out of boards nailed to 4x4 posts, which are in the ground, then masonry caps laid along the bottom to discourage digging:
07-05-12a.jpg

10-21-11Dudleystrackinthedew.jpg

My young leopard tortoises live here:
02-22-122.jpg

My baby box turtles live in a cement mixing tub, which is outside:
babyboxturtles-2-1.jpg

The adult box turtle pen is made out of grape stakes:
boxturtlepen-1.jpg

The baby Texas tortoises live in a Christmas Tree Storage Bin (by Iris), which is outside:
christmastreestorage.jpg

My young Manouria lives in the bottom part of a garbage dumpster, which is outside:
Emmiesoutdoorhabitat-2.jpg

So, you see, there are many ways to house your tortoises outside. You just have to think safety and be inventive.

Status
Not open for further replies.