Russian Tortoise Escape Artist

That_Guy

I've owned a Russian tort for close to a year now. I kept him inside until very recently when I made an outdoor enclosure for him in my backyard. He has plenty of space, access to water, food, hiding spots, sun, etc. but he seems bent on trying to escape. I've kept him in the new outdoor enclosure for a few days now (not nights yet), and it seems like until evening he spends every waking hour walking along the fence and trying to find a way out. He appears really frustrated and it has me worried.

At first the enclosure had metal wire fences around it, but once I read that torts would try to escape if they can see outside the enclosure I lined the fence with wood, rocks, etc. so little Ivan would stop searching for escape routes. But he's still spending much of the day stomping along the fence and trying to claw his way out. He's usually pretty energetic but I've never seen him worked up like this.

What am I doing wrong, and what should I do next? Should I just wait and let him figure out that he won't be able to get out? Is there something wrong with how the enclosure is set up, or does Ivan just need more time to adjust to living outside?

Thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

• IMG_20170619_164950869.jpg
    IMG_20170619_164950869.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Maybe more plants for hiding spots everywhere in case he feels exposed? I really have no clue but it's worth a shot.

Di Pike

uk
Horsefield are well known escape artists. He probably remembers seeing outside . Mine do it all the time. Maybe like daniellenc says and put some more plants in to hide away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on my Russian. Does it a lot. Will then settle down for a short rest under a log or hide, then back at it. What you need to do is make sure to do weekly or more checks on the enclosure for any weak spots he could escape thru. Cuz, they will find it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Give your Russian as much space as possible.

Don't use anything in the enclosure that gives him a toe hold for climbing - those wire panels are simply a challenge for a Russian.

Make sure your tort can't see over or through and part of the boundary fence.

Cap the corners to make sure your tort doesn't use the corners for grip :)