Can i and how do i keep my tortoise outside safely?

puppychomp

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My tortoises heat lamp for his enclosure stopped working, so i was wondering while i wait for a new one in the mail if i could keep him outside so he gets warm since its getting hot out and we have our air conditioner on

Hes a russian tortoise, i think hes a few years old (im not entirely sure, i rescued him on craigslist)

i live in central new york, so our temps are a little weird. Right now its 77 f outside. What is the lowest temp he can be outside at? I dont want him getting cold. Can i keep him outside at night too or should i bring him in?

for his outside enclosure, i was thinking of keeping him in a big kiddy pool and then putting my rabbits exercise pen (its like a wire baby gate) over the top so the sun can shine through but he cant get out and animals cant get in

please go easy on me, this is my first reptile ever!

nicoleann2214

NY
My tortoises heat lamp for his enclosure stopped working, so i was wondering while i wait for a new one in the mail if i could keep him outside so he gets warm since its getting hot out and we have our air conditioner on

Hes a russian tortoise, i think hes a few years old (im not entirely sure, i rescued him on craigslist)

i live in central new york, so our temps are a little weird. Right now its 77 f outside. What is the lowest temp he can be outside at? I dont want him getting cold. Can i keep him outside at night too or should i bring him in?

for his outside enclosure, i was thinking of keeping him in a big kiddy pool and then putting my rabbits exercise pen (its like a wire baby gate) over the top so the sun can shine through but he cant get out and animals cant get in

please go easy on me, this is my first reptile ever!
Are you able to go too a pet store you could use a CHE bulb in the mean time. I don’t think it would be good to leave him out over night, I’m from NY too and the nights get pretty cold here yet.

puppychomp

New York
Are you able to go too a pet store you could use a CHE bulb in the mean time. I don’t think it would be good to leave him out over night, I’m from NY too and the nights get pretty cold here yet.
None of the pet stores around me are open sadly, so i had to order one on amazon. I had him outside half in the sun half in the shade, but i took him inside when it started to get colder since our upstairs gets warm at night (which is where i keep him)
Do you know what temperatures it will be ok to leave him out overnight? Or should i just bring him inside evert night?

nicoleann2214

NY
None of the pet stores around me are open sadly, so i had to order one on amazon. I had him outside half in the sun half in the shade, but i took him inside when it started to get colder since our upstairs gets warm at night (which is where i keep him)
Do you know what temperatures it will be ok to leave him out overnight? Or should i just bring him inside evert night?
@Tom can help you