I was FLASHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
20121219_105729.jpg20121219_105827.jpg20121219_105833.jpgSo I posted a couple months ago and tried to get some opinions on the sex of my youngest tortoise. I got (her) in March '10 and she was just barely a month old. So i estimate she will be turning 3 obviously around March '13. The other day I walked past all the torts and the baby was crawling on my oldest. The oldest is over 14 inches so it was pretty amusing. I left her alone and just walked away. I came back around and she was directly behind her (think doggy style) and she was making all these grunting noises with her mouth open. I started laughing, but she was completely vertical and I was afraid she would tip over so I picked her up and BAM! a penis. I was shocked! She (HE!) is only 2!
IS THIS ABNORMAL?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's not unheard of, but at 2 years of age it's not all too common I would say.

That is definitely a male though. He looks good!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Thanks! I bought him as a pardalis pardalis, but after he started growing there was a lot of comments on here that thought there was some babcocki there. Literally didn't grow almost any black till he was over 6 months old. What do you think?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He's a babcocki. Not much South African characteristics....some slightly dark skin in the rear...but overall it appears to be predominantly babcocki.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He is definitely a beautiful tort. You can see the concave in the plaston also. Thats a good sign. His tail is thick and slighty longer also.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
i know that new info is produced yearly, but when I got him 3 years ago, i was under the impression that the more yellow the more pardalis, the more black the more babcocki... i understand the most simple characteristic is the double spot, which he shows SOME of. Is this only really solved by breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.