help with sexing tortoise (I've been flashed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have a two year leopard tortoise who i thought was a female because if her short tail and shell

IMG_20121002_154236_577_zps4e2c69b3.jpg

but today, while i was bringing her outside, she peed on me and something pink came out of her. i know males can do this, not sure if females can as well. can someone answer this question?

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

stinax182

5 Year Member
i just realized i put this in the wrong section >.< i just need to know if females can flash anything? i know what the male part looks like, but when i was flashed it didn't come out all the way so i couldn't correctly identify it.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I dont know i would love to know myself, since something like that happened to my turtle
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
The EXACT same thing happened to me. In the garden, picked him up, peed, something came out. Mine was also nearly 2 when he flashed me - and it was a shortish pink skinny thing... I thought mine was a female for aaaaaaages - but nope - 100% male!

Yours looks A LOT like a typical female though - burger shaped in comparisson to hotdog shaped, short tale, round anal scutes. Mine is long with V shaped anal scutes and a long tail.

Heres mine so you can compare

1zcl2ee.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes you might see something come out of a female too. It won't be as big or as long as what comes out of the male and it usually goes right back in.

Your tortoise looks female to me, Christina, but it might be too small yet to know for sure. Most baby tortoises look female.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yvonne G said:
Sometimes you might see something come out of a female too. It won't be as big or as long as what comes out of the male and it usually goes right back in.

Your tortoise looks female to me, Christina.

Yvonne, how long would the males 'thing' be at 2 years old? The thing I saw on mine was about an inch...?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It usually reaches up to about the middle of the plastron. It's quite big and impressive.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK

stinax182

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies! after reading these replies and checking out some websites, i still believe she is a female. she flashed me 3 times, really quick, and nothing that came out was longer than an inch. she is still young and it doesn't matter to me which gender she is, as long as she's happy :)

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Rule of thumb when sexing tortoises....
If it looks like a male, its a male.
If it looks like a female, it could be a male.

:)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
stinax182 said:
thanks for the replies! after reading these replies and checking out some websites, i still believe she is a female. she flashed me 3 times, really quick, and nothing that came out was longer than an inch.

Yours looks a lot like my female, but you are right - she is still young. My male looked female until he hit a growth spurt (at about 4 years) and then bam! he's a male. and when they flash you, there is absolutely no doubt. He got a bit frisky the other morning on the patio and let it all hang out. My wife was amazed to say the least! :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your tortoise looks like a female. As Yvonne said, sometimes the females will flash a little.

travyn

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
stinax182 said:
i have a two year leopard tortoise who i thought was a female because if her short tail and shell

IMG_20121002_154236_577_zps4e2c69b3.jpg

but today, while i was bringing her outside, she peed on me and something pink came out of her. i know males can do this, not sure if females can as well. can someone answer this question?

Ha, I'll never forget the day I found out that tuck was a boy while giving him a bath. I literally had to lay down on my couch and take it in. At the time I couldn't wrap my head around 'tuck' being a boys name.. but now I realize that it's a better boys name anyway. lol.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You guys are so funny!! I always knew my boxie was a male because of his red eyes.....but the first time he flashed me I was stunned!!! I dont think any of us expect it to happen when it does!! I am still in shock! He really gave me a fright!! :) :) I really had no idea what expect!
Now when and if it happens again, I will just turn around and walk the other way. ;) haha

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Luvpetz how big do they have to be to become mature? and what you say or do they eat much or just a little bit . mine seems to eat not much and the other one not really much it all....

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.