I thought the day would never come :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It's a sad day. Time to separate my 2 tortoises. I caught one ramming the other and have one that is limping. They got along so well....never though the day would come. Now to figure out how I'm going to separate them :(

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They are almost 6yrs old. My male is 50lbs and my female 60lbs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For their size, you have been lucky so far....perhaps you can use a brick wall (appropriate for their size) down the middle of their current space and see how that works out...

kjr153

5 Year Member
This is a good example of why torts don't need a buddy. I thought my Sully was lonely and I was about to get another until people on TFO said "NO"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
By what I have learned from the many years of experience members, it is an inevitable event. One that people should take to heart before damage is done. Hope your tort is okay and recovers from the limp soon.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ya, I wasn't aware of the possibility 6yrs ago when I took 2 in. I wish I would have been more educated at that time. I have learned so much since. I will figure something out because I can't imagine letting one go. They were fine until my male kept trying to mate....she is getting frustrated. How do others have males/females together when mating without having damage occur? I'm starting to think his limp is from something else but I'm not sure what happened. Sounds like I have a vet trip in my near future....good thing is he's still eating fine.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Beautiful torts you got there. Im sorry about your situation it must be really hard to see this happen. I am sure you will figure out a way to keep them both happy.

I am also the owner of two sulcatas and will probably have to separate them down the line. How will you go about doing this with yours? Will you send us pictures when you do?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Been there, Done that!

WalkingRock is a Solo Sulcata....NOW! It was heart breaking for my wife who raised two Sulcatas to 8 years old before they had to be seperated and eventually had to rehome one to a friend...just to save his life! Rocky now has a beautiful yard of his own and a family that thinks he is the best thing since the invention of underware!

We tried to seperate the Yard with a wall, but they both just paced the wall trying to get at each other. Good luck trying to seperate them and still share the same yard but you might start looking for a friend that would love to have one... so you can have visiting privledges.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once a male sulcata has been with a female, it takes a very long time for him to get rid of that memory. He'll keep pacing the perimeter, trying to knock down the fence, etc.

When I got Dudley he weighed about 50lbs and had spent that past 4 years with a female. The owner at that time was breeding them on purpose to sell the babies. When she had to move into an apartment, I got both sulcatas. Since they had been together, I went ahead and kept them together. The pen is pretty big and there was plenty of space for two sulcatas, however, it soon became evident that the female was being pestered too much, so I adopted her out. It took Dudley a couple of years to settle down and be an only child. In that time, he broke fences, paced like a mad man and really went off his feed.

Males with females will work out ok if you have acres of land, and more females than males.

Status
Not open for further replies.