I have to sell my sulcatas because I am moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
ok I have had these little guys for about 1 year and 4 months already and they grew on me, this moving was pretty unexpected, the place im going to is large but they wont accomodate my torts, i take them out daily they hang outside all day and eat their share of grass and are very friendly torts i am seriously going to miss these little guys, they come when I put my hand down to floor level, i guess theyre used to seeing me give them dandelion flowers and other treats, im pretty much sad but i have a few months to sell them before i go, and i thought id sell them here because i know people here know how to take care of them, they are gorgeous torts, if anyone here has any input on how much i should sell them for, they come with a 25 pound mazuri bag a wooden tank with sliding glass door, theyve never had any health problems except for 1 of them but im not even sure it was a health problem because by the next day it wasnt there anymore, i would like to get input from other people on here that have sold tortoises on here, my guys are big and weight about 2-3 pounds almost 7 inches in length and no less then 5 inches, theyre sturdy little guys i want them to go to a good home

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It depends on how much you paid for them and how old they've become. If they are 16 months old and healthy, I've seen them go for $200-250 each without the mazuri and enclosure. If you find someone interested, they may not want or need the other stuff. But, if it's the quality of care that you're most concerned with, I would consider some kind of deal. That's just my opinion.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I just checked your history and noticed a couple of things. You have two torts that you never named. You've done a great job raising these guys from hatchlings. And, in February, you've noticed how much sulcatas can sell for, especially the larger they get. I think you had every intention to keep and care for these guys; however, I don't think you calculated the long-term costs of caring for them. You are beginning to experience how costly and time consuming it can be, and you decided to sell them now rather than keep paying out money for their care. You may very well be moving, but most owners who feel their torts are like their babies would never move to a place that couldn't accommodate their torts. So, is there anyway you can try and keep your torts rather than sell them? It breaks my heart to see torts who have gotten used to their owners be sold to strangers. Unless it was your intention to sell them all along when they got older, and there's nothing wrong with that, it would explain why two of your torts are not named. But, if that's what you're doing, then just be upfront with your sales. Sales for profit is part of the American dream; there's nothing wrong with that, just be honest about what you want to do.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
sibi said:
It depends on how much you paid for them and how old they've become. If they are 16 months old and healthy, I've seen them go for $200-250 each without the mazuri and enclosure. If you find someone interested, they may not want or need the other stuff. But, if it's the quality of care that you're most concerned with, I would consider some kind of deal. That's just my opinion.

Thanks and im too lazy to post ads to sell and on top of that i dont want to sell them but i have a few months to see what happens but if it does happen i want it to go to someone who knows what theyre doing

Urtle

5 Year Member
Im sorry to hear about you situation, where abouts are you?

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Urtle said:
Im sorry to hear about you situation, where abouts are you?

Hi Urtle i am in california, hopefully plans change and i get to stay and keep them, i never saw this coming at all :/

dustee35

10 Year Member!
How many do you have? Do you think you would be willing to ship? I live in Ohio and would be willing to take them if there was not too many. I have a cool tort room set up for the winter. The room is 8 by 16 and they have the whole room to run in. There are uvb bulbs hanging and heating mats on the floor and there is lots of hay for them to eat. In the summer I take them out to the yard and they have 3/4 acre that is fenced and secured that they roam and graze in. Let me know, Deanna

P.S. I am sorry that you have to sell them.:(

xcoronaangel

5 Year Member
Also since you're in cali - San Diego Tort and Turtle rescue always takes them in and finds them homes if you can transport them to the rescue.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
dustee35 said:
How many do you have? Do you think you would be willing to ship? I live in Ohio and would be willing to take them if there was not too many. I have a cool tort room set up for the winter. The room is 8 by 16 and they have the whole room to run in. There are uvb bulbs hanging and heating mats on the floor and there is lots of hay for them to eat. In the summer I take them out to the yard and they have 3/4 acre that is fenced and secured that they roam and graze in. Let me know, Deanna

P.S. I am sorry that you have to sell them.:(

Sounds tempting, i will pm you if i end up having to sell them thanks for your time :)

xcoronaangel said:
Also since you're in cali - San Diego Tort and Turtle rescue always takes them in and finds them homes if you can transport them to the rescue.

Yea but thats my last resort lol thanks for your time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.