I think we found a sulcata tortoise

Chassey

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Please help me identify what species this is so I can care for it properly. We found him/ her in the gutter at my dad's house today. He was thirsty and hungry. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and my 7 and 9 year olds as well as my husband and I love this little guy already! Thanks!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Agree with Heather. Not a Sulcata for sure, you may found a~license required~gopher tortoise.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Yeah it might be from the wild, maybe you can nurse him back to good health and release him to where they come from in Ca?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
DO NOT RELEASE it... it needs to stay in captivity.. it is a Desert tortoise and from where it was found.. Not from the wild.
It needs sunshine, heat and good diet. Its in rough shape. If you cant find the person who lost it.. ( prob shouldn't have it back) then find it a home where it hot and sunny. it needs to live outside. NO fruit. Spring mix, dandilions, weeds... and a large enclosure, preferably not the loos substrate its on,, its going to eat to much of it stuck to its food.

M

Maggie Cummings

I absolutely agree with Laura. It is Gopherus agassizii (California Desert Tortoise). It looks like it was raised indoor without the proper lighting or humidity. You can't release it to the wild as it is an obvious captive raised tortoise . It needs a hot climate, a good UVB light and proper food. If you are going to keep it, you need to apply for a 'license' to have it. You will need a better indoor substrate, orchid bark (grade fine is good,) a decent outside ESCAPE proof pen. I would normally advise trying to find the original keeper, but they obviously didn't take good enough care of the tortoise. So what you do about that is up to you. It is a strict herbivore, grasses, weeds, hay, cactus pads no fruit or veggies
Yvonne (on this forum) operates a turtle and tortoise rescue in Fresno and she will, I'm sure, give you the best advice of all of us. She works with the DF&G to rescue and rehab desert tortoise.
BTW, the license is free and it's just a way of the state of Calif to keep track of a native threatened species.
My advice, if you intend on keeping, it is to thoroughly research it's care and feeding, set it up properly and give it a better life then it has had up to now...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This desert tortoise is someone's escaped pet. They are not native to SF. He has not been cared for very well, and his shell shows the effects. Put up signs on utility poles around the area where he was found, and put an ad in Craig's List (but don't give too much info on the tortoise, make the people who call you about it describe the tortoise)

If you do end up keeping the tortoise, you have him in a container that is way too small. This young tortoise is big enough now to live outside. You would be doing it a great injustice keeping it in the house in an aquarium. Tortoises are wild animals, and belong outside. During inclement weather he will need a safe and warm house to retreat to.

Please do research on caring for desert tortoises (Gopherus agazissi) and set this tortoise up in a good, safe habitat.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note on whether or not the previous owner needs to have the tortoise back. It is not up to us to be the tortoise police. The tortoise belongs to someone whether or not we think that someone deserves to have it. What we can do is provide the tortoise's owner with the correct information so they can change the way they're caring for the tortoise. Please make every effort to find its owner. We don't know the circumstances. He is probably very much loved and they are missing him terribly.

Last edited:

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
yeah i didnt mean SF, you might have to travel to their territory (nevada?), just ask harry reed, the blm will take care of it, joke.

M

Maggie Cummings

The BLM, the Dept of Fish & Game euthanizes any captive desert tortoise they get their paws on. Once it's been in captivity it is not returned to the wild. That is very dangerous to the wild (already decimated population.)Their habitat is Southern Calif, Southern Nevada into Mexico...

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Why is it dangerous? Is it because of the dissimilar gut fauna or possible parasites form SF captivity? Tortoises are wild animals and it's in their genes to do what they do for millions of years. Do what ever is in the best interest of the tortoise, if captivity then keep it.
The blm can go to hell.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You hit the nail on the head . This tortoise could carry something that could spread to the wild population .

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
OKAY sorry of wrong advice, don't release it in the wild!
If you and your family like this tortoise then keep it, but the right thing to do is post some fliers in your neighborhood first.
About a government license, personally I would not get the government involved. I am for less government and lower taxes and everything they get their paws on gets worse, and now this police state is out of control.

Chassey

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I think we've found the owners, my dad heard that a neighbor was missing a tortoise without even saying one had been found. We have come to love him already and will be sad to see him go. I will print all of this information and provide it to the owner as I want to make sure they are aware that they could be doing a better job of caring for him. I now owe a new turtle/tortoise to my kids. Any suggestions on what type and where to get?

Thanks!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Russian. They're fairly easy to care for and stay small (but they do need at least 4'x6' to roam in).

Chassey

Ok, new update...we returned her and the owner gave her to us because my daughter was so heartbroken. They called her a box turtle so I'm glad we didn't have to give her back. Now to learn everything about how to care for her. Is she surely a gopher tortoise? How can I know for sure/who should I take her to/talk to? Thanks!!