Found a tortoise

pretty_kitty4

I just now found a tortoise at the park. I live in southern California and would like to know if anyone can help me by telling me what kind of species it is. I would like to gain as much knowledge to properly care for it, so your knowledge is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 2014-08-13 19.32.54.jpg
    2014-08-13 19.32.54.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 72

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Gopher tortoise, I think.... These are also native torts that are protected. Wait and see what others say but I'm thinking you should leave it where you found it. Hopefully some one of the pros answers you soon.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Check Craigslist for lost ads. See if someone claims the tortoise. That's the right thing to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Being in SoCal, it is a desert tortoise - Gopherus agazissii. They are protected by law. It is illegal to buy, sell or trade them, however, it is quite ok to have them with a permit. this tortoise is pretty bumpy, which indicates it hasn't had the best of care.

Try to find his owner by posting fliers on the utility poles around the neighborhood where the tortoise was found, a found ad on craigslist and in the classified section of your newspaper.