I Think It's A Russian?

HeavenlyHonu

My husband found this turtle in the desert...Is it a Russian? Should we just return it to the wild or will it do well in our backyard? I've never had a tortoise.I'm new here and have been reading. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thank You!

20150513_111934.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I can't see the pic very good, but looks like it could be a Russian. There are care guides in the Russian section. This is probably someone's lost per. I would check with neighbors, Craigslist and post some flyers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need more and better pics to be sure.

If it is a russian, or any other non-native species, then no, you should not return it to the wild.

If its a CA desert tortoise or luteola box turtle, then your husband has broken the law by touching it.

HeavenlyHonu

Thanks Jodie! That's the only picture he sent me. Where he found it is open desert no houses, I looked on local craigslist but nothing for lost turtles.

Tom, Hopefully it isn't a CDT, it doesn't look like a box turtle..

It's about the size of a football

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A frontal shot might help. I really can't tell from the pic. I've narrowed my guesses to a DT or Russian based on what I can see in the pic. I suppose it could also be a big old weathered Greek too. Need to see more of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you've done is very illegal. Taking desert tortoises from the wild could net you a $10,000 fine. The desert tortoise (gopherus agazissii) is protected. Judging from the look of this tortoise, it is a very old tortoise, and now you've removed it from the gene pool. Please plan a trip back to where you got the tortoise and release it back as close to where you found it as you can.

(I am very positive this is a desert tortoise. No question at all in my mind. Please, please, please - take it back where you found it.)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Like said CDT, head is a dead giveaway.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
What you've done is very illegal. Taking desert tortoises from the wild could net you a $10,000 fine. The desert tortoise (gopherus agazissii) is protected. Judging from the look of this tortoise, it is a very old tortoise, and now you've removed it from the gene pool. Please plan a trip back to where you got the tortoise and release it back as close to where you found it as you can.

(I am very positive this is a desert tortoise. No question at all in my mind. Please, please, please - take it back where you found it.)

I agree it is a desert tortoise and should be returned.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Thank You Yvonne! He/she is going back!!
Heavenly, if you really want a tortoise, do some research on here on CDT and then adopt one. They are great pets and worth the effort to keep them. I have had them close to 40 years and never regretted it, just wish I had the type of information that I have now. Not to say other types of tortoises are not great, just partial to DT's.