I think i was lied to...

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
So I have had my SA Leopard Ghido for about a month and a half now, and I just got a scale yesterday night and weighed him today.

They told me he was hatched the first week of October so that would make him 7 months old...

I'm worried because he's only 2 1/2 inches and weighs 53g. He eats like a pig, and his temps and humidity are right in range of where @Tom says they should be... but isn't that really small for a supposedly 7 month old leo? I got him from Tortoise Town so I do t really know what to think. I don't trust them for care or business practices...

I do know he was started at 50% humidity where I got him and they fed him mazuri and lettuce...

He eats wheatgrass, dandelion leaves and sometimes flowers, bock choy, arugula, butter lettuce, escarole, thistle leaves, cat grass, a little kale... he gets calcium/vitamin/mineral powder sprinkled on x2 a week and zoomed grassland tortoise pellets watered down and mixed In every 2 days or so. I have to be sneaky with the pellets because he doesn't eat them otherwise.

What do you guys think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they are started incorrectly, it is normal for them to grow slowly. The "breeder failure syndrome" ones stall right around 50 grams. They eat normally, walk around, and everything seems fine, but they just won't grow. Eventually they either get over the hump and start growing, or they get soft, lethargic and decline.

Let's hope yours keeps putting on a little bit of weight each week. Once you reach and get past about 60 grams, you can breathe easy. Your tortoise is going to make it if you reach that point. If she stays around 50 week after week, then you should prepare yourself for the inevitable. When the kidneys are damaged at a young age, there is no way to fix it, and no vet can do anything about it. Its just a question of how bad is the damage. If its not too bad, they can make it through. If too much of the kidney can't function, they eventually succumb.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ik ur care is on point.. and he does seem small for 7 months. Started on the dry routine im sure. Hopefully he snaps out of it and starts gaining. Have u been weighing him weekly?

I just got the scale so I haven't been able to see what it was before... all I have been able to do is track the growth on his shell... the first pic was right when I got him, the next is a month ish later, and the last one was just 2 or 3 days ago.
I know he was started dry because they said 50% was what the humidity should always be. I learned within a few days what you guys say and he's been bumped since then...

When they are started incorrectly, it is normal for them to grow slowly. The "breeder failure syndrome" ones stall right around 50 grams. They eat normally, walk around, and everything seems fine, but they just won't grow. Eventually they either get over the hump and start growing, or they get soft, lethargic and decline.

Let's hope yours keeps putting on a little bit of weight each week. Once you reach and get past about 60 grams, you can breathe easy. Your tortoise is going to make it if you reach that point. If she stays around 50 week after week, then you should prepare yourself for the inevitable. When the kidneys are damaged at a young age, there is no way to fix it, and no vet can do anything about it. Its just a question of how bad is the damage. If its not too bad, they can make it through. If too much of the kidney can't function, they eventually succumb.
I really hope not ? it's amazing how fast you fall in love with these guys... how often should I weigh since we are watching for the hurdle jump? Just the weekly weigh in? Should I add something to his diet that could possibly help him gain or just keep with what he's been getting and hope for the best?

I hope they were just lying and sent me a much younger tortoise than they claim... ?

Attachments

• 20200310_104016.jpg
    20200310_104016.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 20200328_105741.jpg
    20200328_105741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 20200424_081122.jpg
    20200424_081122.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really hope not ? it's amazing how fast you fall in love with these guys... how often should I weigh since we are watching for the hurdle jump? Just the weekly weigh in? Should I add something to his diet that could possibly help him gain or just keep with what he's been getting and hope for the best?

I hope they were just lying and sent me a much younger tortoise than they claim... ?
I think weighing once a week is best. You'll drive yourself crazy weighing every day. Evrytime they eat or poop it will fluctuate a few grams. Try to weigh at the same time with the same routine weekly. Like after a soak, but before eating for example. Or at the end of every Friday, or something like that.

Original Mazuri will often help bulk up a skinny or little one. Worth a try. You could soak one pellet each day and mix it in with the food for a while.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I think weighing once a week is best. You'll drive yourself crazy weighing every day. Evrytime they eat or poop it will fluctuate a few grams. Try to weigh at the same time with the same routine weekly. Like after a soak, but before eating for example. Or at the end of every Friday, or something like that.

Original Mazuri will often help bulk up a skinny or little one. Worth a try. You could soak one pellet each day for a while.
Ok I can do it after a soak in the morning before feeding.
Ok I will order that now! Thank you!!!!
Should I just replace the zoomed or do both? Idk how different they are with what they offer...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I just replace the zoomed or do both?
The ZooMed won't put weight on like Mazuri. Its totally optional. Maybe do Mazuri 5 days a week and the ZooMed 2. At least for a while until you get the weight up.

Or just keep doing whatever you've been doing, and add in the Mazuri.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
The ZooMed won't put weight on like Mazuri. Its totally optional. Maybe do Mazuri 5 days a week and the ZooMed 2. At least for a while until you get the weight up.

Or just keep doing whatever you've been doing, and add in the Mazuri.
Is this the original?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428-143959_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-143959_Chrome.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 23

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok thanks guys! It was kind of a pain to find a smaller bag lol. I finally found it on Amazon so it should be here soon! I think It was either 1.5 or 2 lbs

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Tortoise town aren't breeders they're flippers. They don't breed the animals they buy them in bulk from any and all sources and resell them. Whatever they told you about it's hatch date or how it was started is a bunch of mumbo jumbo unfortunately.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Tortoise town aren't breeders they're flippers. They don't breed the animals they buy them in bulk from any and all sources and resell them. Whatever they told you about it's hatch date or how it was started is a bunch of mumbo jumbo unfortunately.
That doesn't surprise me one bit. Horrible place...
That's kind of what I'm hoping for with the hatch date though. I just want him to have been given to me younger than what they said he was. I think this is the only time I've ever hoped someone gave me shady stuff..