I think I did something wrong

AnimalLady

When we had our little cold snap, I brought the RF inside. He was in a 10 gallon tank with topsoil and coco as substrate with damp moss under his hide. I had a CHE going at night and during the day it was a regular 65watt bulb. The temp maintained 79-81ish. I noticed that there was condensation on the bottom where the soil was all around the tank, I thought this was good, it means humidity, right? Well I noticed something. Its happened 2 times. I soak the RF every single day. When I go and get him from his outdoor enclosure he is always behind a specific fern, I pick him up, he opens his eyes ALL is good. I noticed that when kept inside for a few days (i did this 2 times total) by the 4th day his eyes seem like they give him a hard time to open. He will keep them closed until a good 2-3 minutes in his soak, then he opens them and all looks good. This has me worried that something is happening inside that isnt good. Luckily it doesnt get cold often so he's mostly outside, but, it worries me for when it does get cold... Does something seem off? Am I worrying for nothing?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
is there no heated hide outside?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your temperatures are to low indoors . Get them up around 85 to 90 .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally feel a ten gallon is too small. He's stuck under the very drying Che or bulb the whole time. No getting out from it. I feel a bigger indoor enclosure that has room to get out from under these two things, yet staying warm might help.

AnimalLady

I personally feel a ten gallon is too small. He's stuck under the very drying Che or bulb the whole time. No getting out from it. I feel a bigger indoor enclosure that has room to get out from under these two things, yet staying warm might help.

I dont. Its a temporary "its too cold outside" tank. He lives outside 99.9% of the time. When it gets cold here it rarely stays cold for longer than a week. A week inside wont do any harm I think. He has a hide in there that allows him to get get away from the lights. I only have one bulb going at a time. The light gives off a good amount of heat for the day time and my house isnt super cold either. The CHE is only for night, I never use both at the same time, i'd probably cook him if i did. I have another plastic enclosure that I bought before this tank, it is a bit larger but it doesnt have a top and keeping the humidity was dang near impossible for me.

Randi

Canada
I agree with wellington. I feel that a bigger tank would be more comfortable. When the heat is on, there aren't many places to go to cool off. I have three hides under the heat lamps and it is only occasionally that I find my tortoise in the hide that's the hottest. Most times she's in the hides beside it, further from the lamp. I think it would be difficult for them if they don't have options. Depending on your torts size, it doesn't need to be massive. The bigger the better. If it is a few inches in size, a 40 gallon would suffice for awhile. As it grows, the tank should too. I understand that the inside enclosure is not used often, but it needs to be bigger then a 10 gallon. The smallest (and first, as she was a rescue and needed to use it for a few weeks until I could have a new one built) tank my Cherry Head was in was a 47 gallon cube tank and that was too small. She's now in a tank that's over 130 gallons and that seems too small. I'm currently working on something much bigger. I'd recommend a larger indoor set up and you would probably see an improvement. I also found that if my humidity dropped in the tank, her eyes were my first warning as they seemed to stick together. Once soaking and moist, they'd spring open. I have a closed chamber and don't worry about heat or humidity anymore and her eyes haven't done that since. I think that in such a small space, it would be on the hotter side, and there's probably not a lot of humidity in the tank. I'd also work on adding humidity to the enclosure. Best of luck to you and yours.

Last edited:

AnimalLady

I can use a Rubbermaid tub I have, I'll try that next time, it's a good amount bigger. I'm hoping to get a Christmas tree container and I'm thinking that would probably be best since I can just cover it up and put it outside when not in use. My house isn't that roomy. Thanks

Randi

Canada
Good idea! It doesn't have to be a glass tank :) and it's definitely more affordable and so much easier to move, not to mention cleaning is easier. Hope to see some pictures once complete! Best of luck to you and yours :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise is a baby, right? It shouldn't be living outside full time yet.

The best strategy I've found is to have a large properly set up indoor enclosure AND a large properly set up outdoor enclosure. Use the indoor set up for nights and colder weather, use the outdoor set up for fair weather.

I don't leave babies of any species outside all day until they've gained some size. Its not good for them. They don't grow and thrive as well.

I agree with Barb and Randi about the size too. 10 gallon is way too small for any species, of any age, even for temporary housing during cold spells.

Last edited by a moderator:

allegraf

10 Year Member!
You are in south Florida, just put him in a plastic tub inside the house overnight. The garage might be warmer than the house if you are using the air condition. Then put him out in the morning. How big is your tort? Hatchling's cannot take the temperature fluctuations. They generally need a constant 83-87F while still small. They are just more sensitive. Hope this helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are in south Florida, just put him in a plastic tub inside the house overnight. The garage might be warmer than the house if you are using the air condition. Then put him out in the morning. How big is your tort? Hatchling's cannot take the temperature fluctuations. They generally need a constant 83-87F while still small. They are just more sensitive. Hope this helps.

Good advice from someone who certainly knows her way around a RF! :)

Allegra, that baby in your avatar doesn't even look real. Man, that is incredible.

AnimalLady

He's about a year old. Thanks, this is exactly what I'll do. :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Allegra, that baby in your avatar doesn't even look real. Man, that is incredible.

Thanks! He is now outside covered in mud after the four-five days of solid rain down here, but there is still color under the dirt! That one by far has been my most impressive hatchling!