Not a good day for Gypsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
I had noticed over the last couple of days that Gypsy had not been his old self. Moving, but not as active has he has been. He was eating a little and drinking, so I thought it was just the weather change. Yesterday, I noticed his eyes were closed...so I immediately got him a soak. He didn't drink like he usually does when I soak him..so this concerned me. Then he tried to poop and nothing came out. I then noticed bubbles from his nose, so I thought ok..he just held his breath too long while trying to poop. When I took him out he vomitted clear mucus. Again, I thought ok...I used Smart Water so maybe this was again because of his holding his head under the water while trying to poop. As a precaution though...I moved him inside to monitor his temp and humidity levels and keep a better eye on him. This morning his eyes were normal, but he refused to eat. Today is protein day..so I took him outside and he tried to eat, but couldn't. He just played with the worm (his favorite) and then just walked away. I did soak him again and he tried to poop and again could not. He did open his mouth like he was going to gag..but that stopped. I brought him back inside and he just walked into his hide and has been there now just sitting.
So, after this long story...does it seem like he is impacted or does he have an URI? Should I call the vet tomorrow or is there something someone can suggest here. Thanks and again, I apologize for the long story..but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Other torts outside show no signs of illness and are eating and drinking fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like impaction/stones to me.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yvonne...that is what I was kind of thinking, but wasn't sure since none of my Torts have ever been sick. So, is there something I can do..or should I have the take an x-ray? I know there have been somethings posted about mineral oil..but getting a RF to open it's mouth is almost impossible.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm far from an expert, but whenever I have had a tortoises gagging/vomiting it has been pneumonia. Either way I would get him to a vet asap. Impaction or pneumonia can both be deadly. Good luck - I'll be thinking of you!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Vet first thing in the morning. No Tortoise Vets at the emergency clinic. Hopefully, I can keep him warm and comfy until then. Fingers crossed that we make it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
if it impaction, you may want to continue to soak him in warm water a few times throughout the day, it sure won't hurt to allow him to take in water as much as possible....either through drinking it while he soaks or absorbing while he soaks....just what I would do and in my opinion....keep his temps up as well.... good luck to your little one:tort:

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks I have continued the soaks and dry him off in between and back to the heated enclosure. If it is something other than being impacted (which is bad enough), I don't want to complicate anything else.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
EJ,

I am sorry to hear Gypsy is not feeling well. Keep us posted with his condition and the results of the vet visit.

Allegra

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
He will be better when I figure out how to make him take his medicine. Thanks for asking..Vet was very optomistic about his recovery. He has protozoan parasite. All my torts have to be dewormed...not an easy task..but I will figure it out.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yes, the vet suggested putting it on their food. I will have to feed them separately to make sure each of them gets their dose. It is such a small amount. I just wish they would open up their mouths and let me squirt it in...lol.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Now was it Yvonne who suggested mixing with a small amount of canned pumpkin, or perhaps something else they really like but ordinarily don't get, smashed up, and wrapped in a favorite green leaf, like a little burrito? Just to make sure they actually get it?
I found it very difficult to get the liquid worm med to 'stick' to food, and you have to make sure they WANT that particular food that day.
So the above burrito idea seems like a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.