I think Cheese Weed

Eburg85

Location (City and/or State)
Pomona, CA
Saw many post about this but couldn’t get a clear answer. I think this is Cheeseweed and it is growing everywhere in my yard. The picture posted is the biggest one. Can Sulcatas eat this so I don’t waste it?

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
Saw many post about this but couldn’t get a clear answer. I think this is Cheeseweed and it is growing everywhere in my yard. The picture posted is the biggest one. Can Sulcatas eat this so I don’t waste it?
So location reference, I live in Southern California.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another name for cheese weed is mallow

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mallow is also called “Cheese Weed”…. And mallow is save.

is this what you have?

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
Mallow is also called “Cheese Weed”…. And mallow is save.

is this what you have?

It looks exactly the same. I have not seen any flowering as of yet. I have it everywhere in my yard and want to give them as many natural elements as possible.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It looks exactly the same. I have not seen any flowering as of yet. I have it everywhere in my yard and want to give them as many natural elements as possible.
It is safe to feed mallow to both tortoises and humans.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let me know if it shows up this time.
I've never heard the term "cheese weed". I've always called it mallow.

You are incredibly lucky to have that growing wild in your yard! I have a few patches at my place, but I have not had much success trying to intentionally plant it and grow it when and where I want. It always pops up in our cooler weather when the winter rains come.

It is EXCELLENT tortoise food. I collect it by the bucket to feed to all of mine, and coincidentally, that is exactly what I did this morning.

Pick the leaves off to feed the tortoise, but try to leave enough of the main stem and some leaf clusters so that at least some of the plants will go to seed and drop the beginnings of next year's crop. Also, it will die off when the warm weather and longer days return, but if you leave it alone, it will come back for you next winter. I feed the tender leaves only to small tortoises, but bigger tortoises can eat the stems and all for lots of great fiber. To collect it, I grab a handful and cut the stems down low with scissors. I'll get two or three cuttings form some of my patches, and if I just pick a few individual leaves for my baby tortoises or my bearded dragons, the plant just continually grows new fresh tender leaves all winter long.

A mallow patch in your own yard is fantastic. Its one of the best tortoise foods there is, and its FREE!

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
I've never heard the term "cheese weed". I've always called it mallow.

You are incredibly lucky to have that growing wild in your yard! I have a few patches at my place, but I have not had much success trying to intentionally plant it and grow it when and where I want. It always pops up in our cooler weather when the winter rains come.

It is EXCELLENT tortoise food. I collect it by the bucket to feed to all of mine, and coincidentally, that is exactly what I did this morning.

Pick the leaves off to feed the tortoise, but try to leave enough of the main stem and some leaf clusters so that at least some of the plants will go to seed and drop the beginnings of next year's crop. Also, it will die off when the warm weather and longer days return, but if you leave it alone, it will come back for you next winter. I feed the tender leaves only to small tortoises, but bigger tortoises can eat the stems and all for lots of great fiber. To collect it, I grab a handful and cut the stems down low with scissors. I'll get two or three cuttings form some of my patches, and if I just pick a few individual leaves for my baby tortoises or my bearded dragons, the plant just continually grows new fresh tender leaves all winter long.

A mallow patch in your own yard is fantastic. Its one of the best tortoise foods there is, and its FREE!
That’s so awesome, thanks Tom. I pulled a bunch last weekend and threw it away, now I regret it haha. I still have a bunch growing and fortunately the big one in the picture is right next to their enclosure. I’ll start introducing it into their meals. I am sure they will love it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That’s so awesome, thanks Tom. I pulled a bunch last weekend and threw it away, now I regret it haha. I still have a bunch growing and fortunately the big one in the picture is right next to their enclosure. I’ll start introducing it into their meals. I am sure they will love it.
Its is one of the few foods that most tortoises will just walk up and eat the first time they see it. Almost all foods need a lengthy slow introduction. Not mallow. The only other food I've seen like this is my African hibiscus that I grow. The first time a tortoise sees it, they eat it right up and love it.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Where I live in central Washington, this stuff grows like crazy in my yard. The funny thing is that it is more prominent in the mid to late summer when things are dry. Our area is basically irrigated desert so maybe the heat plus water makes it grow? If things were left to their own devices there would only be cheat grass, sagebrush, kochia weed and sumac. I’ve heard other people say it shows up in spring. It might be popping up here now but it really isn’t harvestable until later.

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
The Mallow keeps coming. The tortoises love it. Is there any other type of weed that they can eat that grows in souther california?

Attachments

• 97240280-2A47-4BEA-A9D3-7B99F0342FEB.jpeg
    97240280-2A47-4BEA-A9D3-7B99F0342FEB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7