Oxalis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have Oxalis in my yard and my sulcata eats it with my crab grass... Seems everywhere I have crabgrass there is oxalis.. Is this weed really bad for my sulcata..

I mean I have great Kentucky blue ...but he walks around the yard looking for crab grass.. And chows down eating Oxalis in the mix...

What is the consensus On this??

Thanks again

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
well i might of been mistaken is the oxalis

and anyone know what this is???

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
The plant in your first picture is indeed Oxalis, but I believe the second one is creeping Charlie. Both contain high levels of anti-nutrients: oxalic acid in Oxalis (where it was first discovered), and turpenoids in creeping Charlie. That's why these plants should not form a staple of their diet. However, a nibble on these things every now and then is okay. My guys browse on it from time to time when they find it outside, among other plants that contain anti-nutrients, and they're fine. As long as their staples are anti-nutrient free and nutrient-rich, I think they'll be in good shape.

Russian tortoises are known to seek out toxic weeds to control gut parasites, and then to go back on more palatable fair once they're free of the parasites. This may be true for other turtles and tortoises as well. Turtles have an amazing ability to detoxify plants and fungi that have been known to kill mammals when consumed in large quantities. However, turtles should have a variety of foods to get their complete nutrition.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
geoterra are you sure its oxalis?? I have seen some pictures and it appears oxalis has more of a heart shaped leaf...This looks more like clover from the pics i have seen..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tony the tank said:
geoterra are you sure its oxalis?? I have seen some pictures and it appears oxalis has more of a heart shaped leaf...This looks more like clover from the pics i have seen..

Looks like clover to me, too!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The second one looks like some type of mallow that has been on the forum from
time to time.....the first one resembles a clover as well.....but I would wait to see what the general thought is here.... :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure the first picture is burr clover. Does it have yellow flowers? Burr clover is edible, but not real palatable.

I think the second picture is creeping charlie and its toxic.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Some of the clover/oxalis? Plant have whitish flower similar to
Pics of white clover...pic #2 I don't think it's creeping Charlie based on the fact that the stems are only 2-3" and each individual plant
only has 3-4 stems..

I was under the belief creeping Charlie was a long stem with various leaves coming off the stem.. These are individual plants with 3-4 individual stems each one with a leaf.. The stem sits in the middle of the leaf..

On pics I have seen on the Internet.. Creeping Charlie the stem is attached at the end of the leaf...

Thoughts??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not the exact same type, but are the flowers like this...

121.jpg

033.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The first plant may indeed be a clover (Trifolium). I could be wrong about its being Oxalis.

Creeping Charlie has a variable stature, from sprawling to erect. It starts life as a sprawling plant, and gets erect as it grows.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Jacqui.. That's exactly what they look like.. But the flowers on the bottom pic... But most of the flowers are gone from the lawn mower..so all that's left is the green leaves...Are those clovers??

Geoterra thanks for taking the time....Im starting to believe it is clover.. But the other plant looks more like Mallow than creeping charlie like ascot stated.... I'm not to concerned with that plant because Tony doesn't show any interest in it at all...just wanted to identify it so I know what's out there...

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Tony - Ur first pic is 100% clover which is safe and edible.

In Jacqui's second pic there is mostly clover, but there is also oxalis which you can see circled in red below. Notice the difference.

25gbc4z.png

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
ekm5015 said:
Tony - Ur first pic is 100% clover which is safe and edible.

In Jacqui's second pic there is mostly clover, but there is also oxalis which you can see circled in red below. Notice the difference.

25gbc4z.png

Thank you...I see the difference now.. That I have them side by side

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oxalis also grows little 1", yellow trumpet shaped flowers. That's the only way I can tell it for sure.

A while back some one posted something about "dollarweed". I think they were in FL. Is that your second pic? We have LOTS of mallow out here and it does not look like that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL Tom, I am so glad to hear you say that our mallow (Apricot Mallow) does not look like that.....the first time I read a post referring to that as mallow made me go like, "huh? na ah, that so does not look like the pretty mallow shrub like plants that grow here"....LOL :D

So I researched every darn mallow pic I could and sure enough that is mallow....not our pretty ones adorned with the bright orange cup flowers.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the one we have is called "Desert Mallow". The pics on the internet seem to conflict with each other, but I narrowed it down to two species. Botany is not my strong point...
This is the one we have. I'm pretty sure its either Malva neglecta or Malva leprosa.
f9hwqp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.