I SCARED MY BABYS GOING TO DIE :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
yes, whatever you are using for heat during the day and another for night. i suppose if you have a separate light for uvb, you can not worry about that. hopefully the baby will get better soon and a couple days without it won't hurt.

whatever you have for a hide, I'd put the night heat source above it. I'd also soak the paper towels in hot water, ring them out so they're just damp, but only the ones in the hide and ONLY if you've made sure the entire enclosure is no lower than 80F, I'd try to get the hide up to around 86F. if you don't have a che, i suggest you get one soon. in the meantime you can use a heating pad for humans, just wrap it in a plastic bag or cling wrap so the moisture doesn't get to it. then add more damp paper towels on top to adjust the temp.

hoping that will kinda mimic the sauna idea inside the enclosure? I'm no expert but this is what i would do if i were in your situation. hopefully it will help.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Using a plastic container (tub) can be a little tricky when hanging your uvb bulb and che. If you have a dual lighting dome, you'll have to rig something up so that the light/heat shoots straight down about 10" from the top of your baby's shell. The best thing to use is one of those floor stands where you can adjust the lights with no problems. It's also fire proof ready and helps prevent breakage of your expensive UVb bulb. It also allows for the lid to cover most of the tub which will allow the heat and humidity to stay in. Let us know how it's working for you.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I have a glass terarrium and that holds humidity very well could I put him in that with paper towels instead of a tub?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Woke up this morning to munchy waking around his enclosure :) he's eyes are still closed but he has a lot more energy

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I fed him this morning and soaked him in vitamin water he walked around a lot and he even had one eye open alittle. It was only a sliver but it was open alittle :-D

stinax182

5 Year Member
you could keep him in the glass aquarium for now. as long as you can get the desired temps and humidity.

the fact that he has a little more energy is great!! keep soaking and offering different foods. anything that smells good, i would use. since he can't see the food, we wasn't him to smell it :)

i hope he gets better!! I'm worried got Jim as well ):

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That is great news!!! Keep up the great work!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so happy for you! You are so attentive with your little one that he's actually getting better. You see, doing all the right things has paid off for both of you. If you're not a mother of a human baby yet, this experience tells me you'll make a great mother some day. Oh, silly me, but you're a mom of a baby tort:-D. Keep us posted on your progress.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I want to thank ever one so much for helping me through this. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I can see the trail :)
He's not eating yet but I think he will in the next few days

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
All the progress is good news. Just keep doing what you're doing (saunas, soaks, fresh foods or fruits) and he'll start eating as soon as his eyes open.

stinax182

5 Year Member
i believe I've heard of people actually using the eye drops for contact lenses on their torts eye. please do a lot of research first and make sure I'm correct but that may be another option.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Munchy is getting stronger and starting to resist force feeding. He still won't eat on his own but I suspect in a few days he will be chowing down. I offered him some cantalope yesterday and he wouldn't take it so I put a drop of the juice in his mouth. He still wouldn't eat the yummies I also tried strawberry slices but that didn't work either

stinax182

5 Year Member
the fact that he has energy to fight you is great!!! if he won't eat, try some water, either or is good! you just want to get anything in him....try some veggies...my leo loves zucchini. maybe some green peppers ?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
it's important that you keep up the baby food soaks and liquid vitamins since he's still not eating. With the saunas, he still has his eyes closed?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
With the sauna he has cracked open one eye but it was only open alittle. What I've been doing is during his soaks I take a suringe and squirt water over him and drip it over his eyes that seemed to help his eyes the most

I'm still doing carrot soaks and vitamin soaks

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Good. Could you do me a favor and pm me when his eyes open and when he starts eating?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I thought that Sulcata's weren't supposed to eat fruit? I'm giving this little guy over here Kale, escarole and spring mix with carrot soaks.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Glad to hear an update. Did you get chance to get the Mazuri? I really hope he pulls through for you. You have worked around the clock for this little guy.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Candy, normally you shouldn't feed sullies fruits, it in this case, all we're trying to do is get the little guy to start eating. Most of us know that torts will readily eat things they're not suppose to eat. But, if we can get him interested in eating, then just this once won't hurt him.
Btw, the little guy u have is also blind, correct? If, he is, how are you able to feed him kale and spring mix? Maybe looneybug could try it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.