I need your help for my project!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
It's that time of year again: the time for my eighth grade honors project to begin.

Every year, the students in honors classes in my district have to participate in a project that creates a solution to a problem. The teachers, or other staff involved, encourage students to base their project on something they are interested in so that they know what problem they want to fix, and so that they are more interested in the project. The topic I'm researching is the misinformation chain pet stores, more specifically pet smart and petco, give out to their customers.

I have reviewed the care guides of the Russian tortoises, leopard geckos, and bearded dragons, and there are is some very false information on some of them, for example:IMG_0963.jpg
This is a portion of petco's Russian tortoise care sheet. It is some of the many errors you can find in any of their care sheets.

With this project, my hope for a product would be depending on my conclusion from the data I receive, which is where you guys come in!

Last year for my project, I conducted research as to how and why pyramiding forms, and presented it to the class, along with a live video feed of my tortoise. My presentation was a hit, and the judges gave me good scores, but there was something that made me not win: the lack of data. That data, sadly, was very hard to come by when how pyramiding happens (which, by that I mean how it forms structurally, not the causes) is not known, and we have only recently learned more about the correct care of tortoises.

For this project will need the help of many people around America with pet smarts or petcos around them. What I need you to do is, next time you visit a petco/petsmart, take a picture of the enclosures of: the bearded dragons, whatever tortoises they have, the leopard geckos, and the ball pythons, and all I need after that is the state and city that store is in!

I hope to get many different samples of data for this. This data will help me learn what percentage of chain pet stores are doing things right, and which ones shouldn't be selling reptiles at all. It will also let me see common mistakes made, and how it will help me educate other people who don't know of these things.

To people who have gotten any animal from Petco or Pet Smart-
Please share your experience! It doesn't matter if it's a good experience or a bad one, both are very beneficial to my project. I hope to see what you send me, and if you have any recommendations at all, please tell me!(and also I'm not sure what section to put this under lol)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
We will try to help! When is the project required to be finished?

It is required to be presented on march 3rd, but it would be amazing to get data by February so that I have enough time to put it all together :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
Went to PetSmart yesterday and was able to snap a few photos in a hurry (they were SO busy!).

This one is a leopard gecko, though you can't see it in the cave...
IMG_20171203_144641927.jpg

Here are some beardies..
IMG_20171203_144614669.jpg

And here is a tort- Russian. You can just barely see its shell where it burrowed under it's food bowl. Had apple, cucumber and tomatoes in with the lettuce and no water in the bowl.
IMG_20171203_144626148.jpg

Hope this is a start for you. Would have taken more but I was practically being shoved out of the way by a bunch of kids.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Went to PetSmart yesterday and was able to snap a few photos in a hurry (they were SO busy!).

This one is a leopard gecko, though you can't see it in the cave...
View attachment 224365

Here are some beardies..
View attachment 224366

And here is a tort- Russian. You can just barely see its shell where it burrowed under it's food bowl. Had apple, cucumber and tomatoes in with the lettuce and no water in the bowl.
View attachment 224368

Hope this is a start for you. Would have taken more but I was practically being shoved out of the way by a bunch of kids.

Thank you so so much! This will help immensely in my project!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I plan to go to PetCo this coming weekend for some supplies. PetSmart is only a few miles away, so I can swing by there as well if time permits. I'll snap some shots for you if it's not too crowded. I've never purchased any animals from either place, so cant help you there. :p

Northern California
Wow, eighth grade honors? I wish that had been a thing at my school. All the stuff you underlined is really good (I mean bad, but you get the point). One thing I would point out that may or may not relate to your project but is nonetheless important is that those stores sell almost exclusively wild caught tortoises which is awful for the environment, the owner, and the tortoises themselves-- most people on the forum believe that it is unethical and cruel.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Before I knew about how Petsmart and Petco treated and kept their animals, I purchased a Kingsnake from Petsmart. I have had him for four years now, and he is doing great, never having any sort of health issues.

I don't have any photos of it, but the worst conditions that I have seen tortoises in stores is not actually Petsmart or Petco. It was a store named Pet Supplies Plus. They had two adult Russian tortoises cramped into a 10 gallon tank with no hiding spots, max of 2 inches of substrate, and no water dish. They also were using a CFL bulb (coil type) for UVB and a red incandescent bulb for heat, using a stick on analog thermometer to measure temperature and humidity levels.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Wow, eighth grade honors? I wish that had been a thing at my school. All the stuff you underlined is really good (I mean bad, but you get the point). One thing I would point out that may or may not relate to your project but is nonetheless important is that those stores sell almost exclusively wild caught tortoises which is awful for the environment, the owner, and the tortoises themselves-- most people on the forum believe that it is unethical and cruel.

Yes, and it's very sad! I have a friend who got their tortoise off of Craigslist(where it was kept with no food, lights, heat, or enclosure for over 3 months), and the Craig's list people got it from petsmart. They didn't believe me when I told them that there tortoise was probably 10-15 years old, counting the amount of time the Craigslist people had it. It definitely relates to my project, and will probably help get my point across to my classmates when I present :D

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Before I knew about how Petsmart and Petco treated and kept their animals, I purchased a Kingsnake from Petsmart. I have had him for four years now, and he is doing great, never having any sort of health issues.

I don't have any photos of it, but the worst conditions that I have seen tortoises in stores is not actually Petsmart or Petco. It was a store named Pet Supplies Plus. They had two adult Russian tortoises cramped into a 10 gallon tank with no hiding spots, max of 2 inches of substrate, and no water dish. They also were using a CFL bulb (coil type) for UVB and a red incandescent bulb for heat, using a stick on analog thermometer to measure temperature and humidity levels.

Thank you for telling me! I actually thought of adding in pet supplies plus, but I wasn't sure if they actually sold reptiles lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I plan to go to PetCo this coming weekend for some supplies. PetSmart is only a few miles away, so I can swing by there as well if time permits. I'll snap some shots for you if it's not too crowded. I've never purchased any animals from either place, so cant help you there. :p

Thanks! :D

Destben

Kansas
I was in a petsmart just yesterday and their Russian torts where so cold and one even had the beginning of an RI. Poor things I just wanted to adopt them right then and there but I don’t have room [emoji22]

AmberD

Ontario
I didn't purchase my tort from a petco or pet smart but I did get mine from a REPTILE store. There was no water dish or food visible in the terrarium and there was 5 hatchlings in an 18x18. Red bulbs. One had a shut swollen eye and was walked on by the others. I got one that was most active. When I got him home I soaked him and he DRANK and DRANK. Since having him and doing regular soaks I have never seen him visibly take a drink since. I'm assuming he was dehydrated and has a healthy appetite now. I was told to solely feed spring mix-thank goodness I did research and feed him a much better diet. Hope this helps your project!