Need help for a school project.

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
I’m writing a school project on tortoises for my college biology. Now I need some clarity , my auntie had 3 horsefields , and she’s had them for years! Unfortunately one died last year in hibernation. Now on a few Facebook groups I’ve heard of many many tortoises dying out here in the uk during hibernation lately. Tortoises that have successfully hibernated for years! Could there be reasons for this? Anything to do with global warming maybe?

Another question is, before she had the 3 she had another, now he became very sick. At the time she was advised to put him into a hibernating state then freeze him. (I know how some now consider this inhumane etc and I understand the biology of it) my question with this is how long would a tort need to be in the freezer to pass? Hours? Days?

My other question is regarding tortoise abnormalities. Does anyone had a tort with a deformity of some kind? How was they’re life?

If anyone has any other cool facts about tortoises of anything please let me know :)

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I own a Red foot tortoise so I have no experience with Brumation. It is my understanding that some people put them in a refrigerator to maintain a consistent temperature and if remembering correctly you have to open the door every day to allow oxygen to get in so the tortoise doesn't suffocate.

Here is a thread that should answer some questions
Thread 'Tom's Brumation Thread' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I would not attribute "missed in brumation" tortoises to a global climate changes - temperature fluctuations are pretty normal if you look through the available observations history. It's always some percent of tortoises who don't wake up - be it in the yard or in the wild. Those who choose very cold hides can freeze, those who opt for the warmer hides - get higher metabolical and dehydration rates. In their natural habitat they sometimes can relocate themselves (burrow deeper or closer to surface). However, while staying in a cardboard box in a garage they can't.

On the case of "freezing euthanasia" you can search the forum, there was at least one thread recently.

There are many cases of "anomalies" among tortoises. Some are pure cosmetic like extra scutes (split scutes). Most are related to bad husbandry (pyramiding and metabolical bone disease) or trauma (dog bites and such). You can look at this thread - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/white-flesh.208231/ on recovering a badly injured tortoise.

In my opinion, it would be great if you share some insights on proper tortoise care with your classmates. You can get an overview here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
This might save some tortoises from miserable life in suffering or ending up in a rescue. Even if one or two - that would be a success. Maybe you can prepare some handouts for those who own a tortoise or want to get one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m writing a school project on tortoises for my college biology. Now I need some clarity , my auntie had 3 horsefields , and she’s had them for years! Unfortunately one died last year in hibernation. Now on a few Facebook groups I’ve heard of many many tortoises dying out here in the uk during hibernation lately. Tortoises that have successfully hibernated for years! Could there be reasons for this? Anything to do with global warming maybe?

Another question is, before she had the 3 she had another, now he became very sick. At the time she was advised to put him into a hibernating state then freeze him. (I know how some now consider this inhumane etc and I understand the biology of it) my question with this is how long would a tort need to be in the freezer to pass? Hours? Days?

My other question is regarding tortoise abnormalities. Does anyone had a tort with a deformity of some kind? How was they’re life?

If anyone has any other cool facts about tortoises of anything please let me know :)
First, understand the FB, YT and other online sources usually give loads of wrong information and terrible advice.

They die in brumation because of human error. Leaving them outside to fend for themselves and figure it out often results in death in one of several ways. Some of them somehow manage to get lucky and survive for years, but we often hear the stories of the ones that died and this leads people to mistakenly believe that hibernation is dangerous and their tortoise could die if they don't keep it up. Many tortoises also die from keeper error when the are not hibernated. This is also dependent upon climate. Some climates like mine are intermittently too warm in winter. Some climates like yours are too cold and clammy too much of every year. Some areas of the US have warm summers and consistently cold winters, and it can work better outdoors there, but still requires the right help and vigilance from the keeper.