Science Project - help needed!

sheilae04

Hi everyone!
First of all, I absolutely love this forum! I've had my Saturn, russian tort, for a week and a half, and anything I need to find answers for is on here!
I'm asking for everyone's help. My daughter is in Kindergarten and is conducting a science fair experiment on how fast tortoises can move and if they all move at the same speed. She chose the topic because she's thinking that our tortoise doesn't move very fast, I guess! We're calling it "Tortoise Time!" with a clock picture next to a moving tortoise.
We are going to track the distance it takes our tort to travel in 30 seconds over the course of a few days. We know a friend who is going to do the same for her tortoise so we can compare. We may even race if we can get the two together! Here's where I welcome your help. I would love to see how many of you would do the same with your torts and send the data to me. It'd be fun and more of an experiment with more than two tortoises to compare! You could just reply to this thread with a. distance, b. time, c. name and species of tortoise, and d. anything else that is of interest like the tort's name and state and diet., videos, photos, etc.
Thanks! My daughter would sure be thrilled! By the way, our project is due next Thursday...nothing like procrastination!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Oh, and I'll also post results and a photo of the finished project afterward!
Yes I'll do that for you over the weekend - but all our torts are different sizes, leg lengths etc so it won't be a 'fair test' - but I don't suppose they're going to be too particular at kindergarten level:) Will post results as soon as done.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What a cute idea! My daughter used our guinea pigs for science projects.

Too bad she is doing this project in winter. I think they move faster in summer.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Are you allowing baiting? Vern will run for a blackberry. ;-)

Ninja's mom

What a great project idea! I'm afraid my sons tortoise just bombed...we tried without food first and he didn't move at all. Then we put some food out and he still didn't move. We will try again when he's more active, maybe its his bedtime!

His (or her) name is "Ninja" he's a russian tortoise, approximately 10 months old. We live in a cold state, he moves much faster in the summer when i take him outside! He eats green leafy veggies, from the grocery store, and tortoise pellets.

TardisTortoise

10 Year Member!
Tardis just traveled 17.5 feet in 30 seconds. He stopped to eat a couple times so I would stand in front of him and we would start going again.

sheilae04

Thank you!!! Tardis is a speedy guy! I think he had the record so far. Is he a Russian?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They move slowly as a lifestyle choice so 2 speak, but they move faster for different reasons. Put a male near a female & you see greased lightning. science experiments in kindergarten?

TardisTortoise

10 Year Member!
No he is a Sulcata. He is very large. 60 or 70 lbs. It is nice and warm inTexas, so he has not slowed down much.