I need to downgrade my tortoise enclsure!

KASHYAPDROP

Location (City and/or State)
Greer, South Carolina
Presently, my 6-month-old baby tortoise is showing signs of pyramiding. She resides in a 40-gallon open-top storage container, but unfortunately, the heat lamp isn't effectively warming her enclosure. Considering this, I'm thinking about relocating her to a closed-top 16-gallon storage container to provide her with better moisture levels. Furthermore, the current 40-gallon setup is too vast, causing her stress due to insufficient hiding spots, despite the presence of a log house.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
16 gallon tank is too small. Tortoises need space to walk. It's essential for their health. You can try to use 16 gallon container and its lid to cover 40 gallon one. Can you post some photos of the current setup and tell more about what heating and lightning you use? What are the temperatures now (day/night ambient, under the basking lamp)?

Scratching walls is the sign of discomfort (wrong temperatures, humidity, harsh light and such) or, often, when the space is too small. Do you have room space for a larger enclosure?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
the 40 gallon storage container is already to small so definitely wouldnt downgrade. You need a closed chamber to hold in humidity and heat. With sulcatas a like to use grow tent with some mods done. Bo need to spend big bucks on an enclosure that the sulcata will out grow in a year. Look up Toms care sheet on how to raise a healthy sulcata if you havent already. Good luck!

KASHYAPDROP

Greer, South Carolina
the 40 gallon storage container is already to small so definitely wouldnt downgrade. You need a closed chamber to hold in humidity and heat. With sulcatas a like to use grow tent with some mods done. Bo need to spend big bucks on an enclosure that the sulcata will out grow in a year. Look up Toms care sheet on how to raise a healthy sulcata if you havent already. Good luck!
I am currently out of town and I don't have any pictures right now. I will ask family to send pictures

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Just clarifying that the tortoise is a 6 month old Hermans Tortiose. Would 40 gallon be to small for a 6month Hermans tortoise?
Sorry, thought i read sulcata (im losing my mind) A 40 gallon would work for a Hermans for a while as long as you make some adjustments to get your humidity and temps corrected.

KASHYAPDROP

Greer, South Carolina
Sorry, thought i read sulcata (im losing my mind) A 40 gallon would work for a Hermans for a while as long as you make some adjustments to get your humidity and temps corrected.
Thank you so much for the help! I have orderd a new heat lamp, repti soil, syphrus mulch, an automatic mister, and a lid. Hopefully I can prevent it from pyramiding even more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much for the help! I have orderd a new heat lamp, repti soil, syphrus mulch, an automatic mister, and a lid. Hopefully I can prevent it from pyramiding even more.
If you make it a closed chamber you won't have problems with temps or humidity and a mister won't be needed. Misters on babies is not the best idea. Do not get a smaller enclosure than the 40 you have. Just make it a closed chamber with all heat and lights within the enclosure and all of it covered.
Green houses like pictured work good and come in different sizes
Screenshot_20240215-075015.pngScreenshot_20240215-074821.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Presently, my 6-month-old baby tortoise is showing signs of pyramiding. She resides in a 40-gallon open-top storage container, but unfortunately, the heat lamp isn't effectively warming her enclosure. Considering this, I'm thinking about relocating her to a closed-top 16-gallon storage container to provide her with better moisture levels. Furthermore, the current 40-gallon setup is too vast, causing her stress due to insufficient hiding spots, despite the presence of a log house.
Actually you need to UPGRADE, not DOWNGRADE.

In your case, because your tort is a Hermanni and not a sulcata, like we assumed, you don't really need a closed chamber. I'll bet your heat lamp is the culprit causing the pyramiding and restlessness. What type and brand is the heat lamp?

KASHYAPDROP

Greer, South Carolina
If you make it a closed chamber you won't have problems with temps or humidity and a mister won't be needed. Misters on babies is not the best idea. Do not get a smaller enclosure than the 40 you have. Just make it a closed chamber with all heat and lights within the enclosure and all of it covered.
Green houses like pictured work good and come in different sizes
View attachment 369199View attachment 369200
Okay thank you so much for the advice I will go out and purchase a lid.

KASHYAPDROP

Greer, South Carolina
Actually you need to UPGRADE, not DOWNGRADE.

In your case, because your tort is a Hermanni and not a sulcata, like we assumed, you don't really need a closed chamber. I'll bet your heat lamp is the culprit causing the pyramiding and restlessness. What type and brand is the heat lamp?
I don't know the brand or model but it is some cheap 60w heat lamp from Amazon. I have orderd a new Zoo Med heat lamp so hopeully it should fix the issue