Need advice on enclosure for 1 year old Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everybody,

My name is Tammie and I recently happened upon this site and have been reading and soaking up all kinds of wonderful info. We have a 1 year old Sulcata that we have raised since she was about a week old. She's been in a 40 gallon tank with Repti Sand and we've been feeding her mostly dark leafy greens and dandelions from the yard. She had a small 1/2 log hide and a shallow water bowl. We also try to get her outside in her other enclosure a couple times a week.

She recently outgrew her hide and water bowl, so my girlfriend purchased larger upgrades and also some more sand. That's when I started doing some research and found this place. After a week of reading I knew we needed some additional upgrades. So last weekend, we ditched the tank and purchased 2 large plastic storage containers. We also returned the sand and bought cypress mulch and also some coco husk. I've also purchased some seeds at SulcataFood.com and 2 trays to plant them in that I can put in her enclosure once they've grown. I would also like to get some smaller pots to plant some weeds and other vegetation.

I've read so much information was so excited about putting together the new enclosure, but I realized when I starting putting the stuff in the enclosure I wasn't sure what I should put where. I've included pics of each side of the enclosure as they are now.

We only have 1 light and it's on the right side now. I live in So. California and it's been really warm lately so the left side is about 75 degrees at night with 50-70% humidity (I've been keeping the plastic container lid on most of of the left side.) After I put the items that we purchased in the enclosure, I realized I had put almost everything on the right side where the light is and I wanted to put a hide on that side also, but I'm running out of room!

So here are my questions:

1) Should I buy another light for the left? Or maybe just a CHE? (especially when it gets colder at night)

2) I read there should be a cool side and a warm side. What should I have in each of those sides for her.

3) Any other comments are welcome and appreciated.

Shellys New Enclosure.jpg

Thank you everybody for your advice and time.

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi Tammie,

sounds like you have the right ideas...cool side and warm side - but don't let the cool side get too cool for the little one, especially if both sides are equally humid/moist. maybe someone else will answer with me bumping this up...

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the bump :)

pdrobber said:
Hi Tammie,

sounds like you have the right ideas...cool side and warm side - but don't let the cool side get too cool for the little one, especially if both sides are equally humid/moist. maybe someone else will answer with me bumping this up...

pemry3

5 Year Member
Hi Tammy,

I would plant some plants in the enclosure. To give her some snacks and some security. also you can add some flat rocks so she can have different things to walk on.

I have a large piece of bark in my enclosure too.

I have a similar tubs that my guy lives in and I had to duck tape the side just so he couldn't see through.

Hope this helps a bit..:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Tammie...glad to hear that you got rid of the sand...that worried me a bit, but now you've got it. Your enclosure is a good start. As your baby starts to grow larger, you can look here on the forum to see how others have enlarged their enclosure. You're doing fine. :)

tmbarta said:
Thanks for the bump :)

pdrobber said:
Hi Tammie,

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
It's looking pretty good! I've found it hard to keep up humidity with open tops (I have the plastic lid on my container and shoot for 80% humidity) I would put the CHE wherever she sleeps at night and just a regular old incandescent light bulb on the other side. You've checked out Tom's hatchling thread right?

Here is a link to some pics of my enclosure if it will help...I have three one will be a year in November and the other two 7 months http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hey-it-s-been-awhile-pic-heavy#axzz27LfwA6tB

Good luck and great job so far!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hi Tammie and welcome! Sounds like your basically on the right track. Let's see if we can't fine tune you alittle...Since you live in SoCal, you wanna try and get him outside daily...for at least an hour...two to six is better ;) Daily exposure to direct sunlight eliminates the need for Ca supplements w/D3. A 40 gallon tank needs to be rethought real soon! Something along the lines of 4'X8' would be better...and that's just a minimum! When you do have him inside, it's crucial that the 'cool' end of his habitat be at least 80F if humid conditions are utilized. The basking end should be at least 90-95F...although 100F and higher isn't bad either.

Check out the first link in my signature for a Care Sheet I did a couple months back!

Status
Not open for further replies.