First Time Tortoise Lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingraerae

5 Year Member
Hey Everyone!

I just got my first tortoise yesterday and am very excited to join the world of Russian owners. She (Not yet named, we're waiting to get to know her a bit better :)) is one year old and seems to be quite healthy. She hasn't eaten much, only a bit of banana and leafy greens, but from what I've read that is normal considering the stress levels one would expect from making such a big move.

I've posted pictures of her and her enclosure, and I was hoping you all could give me some advice on things I could do to improve her life since I'm very new to this business. Sorry for the picture's bad quality, the 100 watt warming bulb messed with the lighting a bit. If you can't tell, under the light is a flat rock she enjoys sitting on. On the other side of the 50 gallon Rubbermaid container is an old wooden clementine box for shade that she is currently sleeping under, and a water dish that she hasn't yet drunken out of.

The under the mulch there is sand, which I've gotten mixed reviews on. Petsmart said it was dangerous as the Russian could eat it easier, but many websites praise it as a preferred turf for Russians. On top of her shady box are a tiger, R2D2, and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, to keep her company :tort:

Please reply with suggestions on how I can make this transition from her small Petsmart tank to this enclosure and new home as easy as possible! Thank you :)

-- Sophie McHugh, Georgia Resident

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 28
  • russian.jpg
    russian.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 29

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Sophie and welcome to not only TFO, but to the wacky world of tortoise keeping. The sand without it being mixed in with something can cause impaction issues. It's alright if mixed in with the coir or soil and with the sand being a small percentage of the total. I actually use the coir/sand combo in with my Russians. Well normally, this winter I experimented with them on mulch and I think both the tortoises and I are not liking it. :(

Two questions... how warm is the light getting it right under it (the basking spot) and then on the far side? Also what are the temps going down to at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sophie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Fruit is not the best diet for tortoises. A little once in a while won't kill them, but its really not good for them. Sort of like candy for people. The best foods for them are weeds and an assortment of leafy greens from the grocery store. There is a weed ID section in the Tortoise Diet and Plant section. Check it out and see if anything looks familiar.

stingraerae

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! I've switched over to a mixture of Red, Green, and Romaine lettuce along with broccoli, kale, zucchini, and freshly picked dandelions. Amelia (finally chose a name!) seems to be enjoying all of them. Thanks for the advice! :)

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome !! Make sure he has enough substrate to dig down in, they love to dig .... you might want to change to a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) sence you dont have any UVB bulbs showing , just heat wont cover it and a MVB will give you both , unless your going to give him some out side time then you dont really need the UVB bulb ... oh yea i love the little friends you put in there with him ;)

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
stingraerae said:
Thanks so much! I've switched over to a mixture of Red, Green, and Romaine lettuce along with broccoli, kale, zucchini, and freshly picked dandelions. Amelia (finally chose a name!) seems to be enjoying all of them. Thanks for the advice! :)

Easy on the broccoli - it can give them gas - nice as a treat.
Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.